Slow speed through WiFi, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abe12345, Jun 12, 2010.

1. abe12345

abe12345 Private E-2

Hello. We have a Compaq Presario 2100 with WiFi 802.11 b,g that is downstairs. For internet it uses our Verizon Fios upstairs through WiFi. The Verizon Fios has download speeds of 24 MB/sec when it is hooked up by wire, and about 10 MB/sec through Wifi upstairs on the Compaq and 13 MB/sec on a newer laptop. But downstairs unfortunately is a different story. On the Compaq Presario 2100 a speed test ranges from 3.5 to 5 MB/sec. But I think it is sporadic. It might be higher depending on random time.

What can I do to increase the speed downstairs? Running a wire downstairs would be difficult, and so would be changing the location of the computer. I'm not sure about this, but I thought perhaps there is a WiFi router of some kind that I can put downstairs that can get significantly better signal strength from my Verizon Fios router upstairs. That way I can hook up the Compaq Presario by wire to the 2nd router downstairs. Will that work? If so what kind of router should I get?

2. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Is your current wifi thru a Verizon provided unit or a router connected to your Verizon FIOS modem (or whatever they use, don't have FIOS so I don't know)?

If your current wireless is G, going to an N router has been shown to provide a stronger, more consistent signal to G clients.

You can also get a G router and set it up as an access point downstairs and that may provide a more consistent signal to your downstairs client.

Sam

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Think your speeds maybe lower due to interfearence from a few sources as electronic to the walls of your home.

One option in not running wires all around the house is to use Powerline networking and Netear have oen solution HERE in the tech write up and HERE in the actual hardware, other makers have these too.

4. abe12345

abe12345 Private E-2

It is through a Verizon provided unit. Not sure if it is G or N. Thanks.

5. abe12345

abe12345 Private E-2

Good idea. Will look into it. Thanks.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I bought this http://www.netgear.co.uk/powerline_ethernet_adapter_xavb2001.php (the 200 Mbps not the 85Mbps; unfortunately the same model number is given to both units so read the box) to replace a linksys wifi dongle attached to one of my husband's two computers in the basement. The wifi started to drop the connection and it became a hassle to keep resetting the connection. The router is on the 1st floor and about 75 feet away from his computer. Running wires was not possible for me to do.
    He is well pleased with the unit.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cheers Bill and Plodr for the personal feedback on the powerline hardware, always good to have personal views on technology.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds