Slow Startup and Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by nchesh, Mar 15, 2006.

1. nchesh

nchesh Private E-2

Hi

I am experiencing extremely slow startup and internet explorer seems to take an eternity to open up the browser and respond.

I have tried a number of system utility packages for cleaning the system and the registry with no joy.

There seems to be a lot of activity when I look at the Task Manager on startup but have no idea what is really happening.

I have just downloaded a program called staruplist from MSN site and again this seems to have a lot of programs listed on startup.

I use a the PC a great deal nut still seem to be a novice so any help would be gratefully received ( in idiots language if possible)

Many thanks in advance

Neil

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Hi Welcome to MG. :)

You say you seem to have a lot of programs listed for startup. Some of these will be needed but others may not.

Have you run Ad-Aware and or Spybot to make sure you have no malware loading. If you haven't then do so. Then post the list of the startup items and we can tell you what is and what isn't necessary. :)

3. nchesh

nchesh Private E-2

Hi

What is the best way to compile and post a list of the startup items that you can see.

I have run both spybot and adaware and also run Norton one clink check.

I also have ashampoo winoptimzer platinum suite 2.

I regularly run these along with anti virus but to no real avail.

Thanks
    Neil

4. Sparks

Sparks Private E-2

I'm looking for help too......big time. Have found myself in pc hell since early feb. I have a wireless router BT1800HG and BT Yahoo! Broadband.....only my system currently connected (ethernet used). In Feb I started having problems with messenger (msn) and opening BT Yahoo! from that icon, yet I could be more successful with IE icon. I found that it got harder to sustain internet connection / surf between pages and impossible to change accounts. Once booted I had to completely reboot to have a possibility of getting online again. The email would no longer download......and my IP add became private. LAN came up as limited or no connectivity repeatedly....and when service went down, I lost my Bb Voice telephone 'line' also.
    BT couldn't help, all troubleshooting was ineffective or made problem worsen......and then they gave up and sent me to DELL. Dell went thru troubleshooting and within 3 hours my entire system crashed, I had to do a complete reinstallation. From there I had to reinstall Bb disc etc - got access to internet and so downloaded critical updates and SP2 again. I've done virus scans with new antivirus programs, spyware and malware checks......changed firewall......pinged IP addresses and done regsvr32. exe urlmon.dll, checked hosts files and all sorts...because initial success changed again........and now I struggle to open IE....if it does load and open, I seem to have to double click on new instructions but more often than not I get Page Cannot Be Opened, frequently outlook brings up error message - mailserver could not be found and Error message 678......sometimes I can open and use messenger but struggling badly to open hotmail. ISP says it is software (XP not working properly) and contact Vendor......Dell say is it ISP and contact BT....I'm rapidly going nuts! Can anyone help? Pretty please?

5. acejones

acejones A Different Title

Sparks...do not hijack this thread. Make your own.

BTW, welcome to MajorGeeks!

6. Sparks

Sparks Private E-2

apologies, realised afterwards how to make new thread and post....have done that....then got this message. Sorry, pls excuse a newbie

7. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

@ nchesh:

You'll really need to find yourself a utility (and there are plenty out there) to simply produce a list of startup items but you can always see them by running msconfig and clicking on the startup tab.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Try Process Explorer.http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds