Slow startup, Internet disabled

Discussion in 'Software' started by ashkat, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ashkat

ashkat Private E-2

Hi there

I was originally cleaning out my computer of registry errors and temporary files using Advanced System Tweaker. After this I was normally browsing the internet when I was unable to connect to any sites.

I thought it may be my computer or my service provider but the connection on my laptop works perfectly, on the computer it is constantly showing that it's attempting to find the wireless connection. I restarted the computer multiple times but this did not help.

After restarting, my antivirus (avast!) says it's not protected and that the web shields are off. Tried to turn them back on and no change. I tried scanning with avast!, Malwarebytes and Mcafee Stinger which all came back clean.

Thinking it may have been the Advanced System Tweaker I had used earlier I restored the registries using a backup but this did not make any changes. Then I tried to perform a system restore which resulted in the computer restarting and showing me a message that no changes were made and it was unable to system restore.

I repeated the above process using different restore points as well as restoring in safe mode which provided no changes. Now the computer has a slow startup and is slow in general unlike how it used to be.

I'm completely clueless on how else I could try to solve this so I decided to ask here.

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Someone is probably going to help in other ways but, I had a problem almost like yours. Run the built-in disk check, it deleted files on mine then replace needed file and orphans, all worked great after that.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If it's still not connecting wirelessly to the router do you have an ethernet cable you could use to test? The general slowness may be due to the computer devoting its main efforts to establishing a connection.

4. ashkat

ashkat Private E-2

Tried connecting it directly to the modem instead of leaving it wirelessly and the computer is still slow and is unable to successfully connect.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

When testing with a cable you did first disable the wireless connection and enable the LAN connection?

Sorry if this is too obvious but we have no way of knowing your experience level.

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi ashkat.

If you can answer a few questions, it may help.
    Sorry if this is too picky and tedious.

What version of Windows? are you using and which Service Pack (SP?).
    What version of Advanced System Tweaker did you use, specifically, was it a 'beta' version?
    The program has a 'backup' selection to use Before making any changes, which uses ERUNT.
    Is that what you used to make the Registry backup(s) that you restored and was that before making changes?

Concerning Avast, you said:
    The Web shield is One of several Real Time Shields.
    Is that the only one that got turned OFF, or were there others also.
    When you said 'no change', presumably that means the Shield(s) Did get turned On but that did not fix the problem.
    Is that correct?

Was the first System Restore attempt the Only one that Failed and gave you a message that it could not be completed?

Just FYI, there is a video overview/tutorial by Major Attitude for A.S.T. HERE

7. ashkat

ashkat Private E-2

Hello, sorry for the late replies, I have been quite busy lately.

Yeah, I did this. The LAN connection status constantly reads "Acquiring network address" with no change.

My wireless connection when enabled reads:

"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection.

If you enabled another program to manage this wireless connection use that software."

I don't have any other program I use to manage my wireless.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002. Service Pack 3.

Sorry, my mistake, I checked and it was Advanced PC Tweaker, a completely different program. I used version 4.2.0 I'll go edit my previous posts to clear up that error. It wasn't a beta version.

Unsure if this question will apply considering I messed up the specific program name! :-o

Yes, the web shield is the only one that is off. On the avast shield screen it reads "Unknown" while the others read "Running"

Multiple system restores I tried at different dates failed and gave me the same error message

Edit: Seems like I can't edit my first post. Just to clarify for future readers the program is definitely Advanced PC Tweaker instead of Advanced System Tweaker.

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You can edit your posts only for a limited period of time (10 or 15 minutes or so).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds