slow startup , no sound, no internet, classic windows mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by jokop, Nov 25, 2010.

1. jokop

jokop Private E-2

hello
    I have windows xp.
    I recently encountered a problem similar to this one

I would really appreciate any assitance.
    jokop (niv)

detailed description of problem:
    no copy/paste options in windows explorer. (I copied files using cmd shell). slow startup (only after the backgroud picture is shown), no sound, no internet, classic mode task bar,minimized windows are not shown on taskbar. most services had not started.

background:
    in the last week I tried to uninstall/reinstall my hp printer. but since I had no luck I tried to play a little with the registry and deleted some hp entries there.
    also I deleted a service named "Pml Driver HPZ12" and a similar service

I would really appreciate any help
    thanks

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi jokop, have you tried system restore?
    [tap F8 as your booting up and you will get an option to use "last known good configuration"]

edit: and unless you 100% know what your doing, AND have made a back up, yo should never just go deleting things in the registry!

3. jokop

jokop Private E-2

hi
    thanks for the very quick reply
    first what does it mean "the most recent settings that worked"
    my computer does work. it has many functions and Im able to save to disk-on-key and so on.
    I am just afraid to damage it further.
    second I tried it now and the issue persists
    in appreciation
    niv jokop

4. jokop

jokop Private E-2

I forgot to mention that
    Ive done registry backup amonth ago using a utility called aml registry cleaner and it saved a file called registrybackup.reg
    should I restore my registry using this backup? how?
    in appreciation
    niv jokop

5. ~Q~

System restore will set your computer back to how it was before this problem happened.

After tapping F8 as you boot, you will see a list of options to select, one of them will be "last known good configuration" if you select that option it will take you through resetting your computer to before this happened.

Note: you will not lose any data/files that you have created, but if you have installed any new programs recently, they may be removed.

System restore (last know good configuration) is a safety net that is built into windows specifically for times like this :)

edit: just seen your last post..... I'd recommend just trying the System restore, it is the simplest safest way to likely fix your issue.

6. jokop

jokop Private E-2

it seems that the problem issolved some how :confused
    thanks very much
    niv jokop

7. ~Q~

What, it fixed itself?

or

Did you do the restore?

8. jokop

jokop Private E-2

well I did do a system restore. but the process of it was wierd
    at first I did sytem restore from the startup menu by pressing f8
    it did not change anything in my issue
    then I remembered that indeed I saved a registry backup of few weeks ago by a utility named aml registry cleaner
    so I tried to restore my registry using the option restore from this utility
    and unfotunatly it told me that some entries could not change. and I should check if these entries are used by another program

at that point I thought maybe I'll restart in safe mode and then maybe try system restore from this utility. so Ive restarted again.

first tried safe mode: the windows did not start and messeged an error!
    then in my panic tried standard windows and this also showed me an error!
    dead end!
    but now!!
    I tried again system restore and voila!
    my computer seems fixed! (maybe a little slow but maybe im imagining)
    thanks very much again:wave
    niv

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You might want to uninstall that registry cleaner. One review said this
    Try CCleaner. It is very safe. Too many registry cleaners create more problems than they solve.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds