Slow Transfers in Home Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swalsh19, Jan 9, 2009.

1. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

I was hoping to get some help with my home network. Here are the parts I have.

{1} GNet ADSL Modem
    {1} Linksys BEFSR41 Wired Router
    {1} Linksys Wireless Access Point
    {1} 4Port Linksys 10/100 Switch
    {1} 8port Linksys 10/100 Switch
    {1} 500Gig Network Attached Storage Drive

I have the wired router in the basement running to a access point upstairs as when I had a 802.11 wireless router the signal to the upstairs was weak.

My problem is I have 2 PS3 in the house and I want to have them connect to the single NAS. My brother and I both want to be able to transfer items to the NAS which we currently can do but the transfer speed is slow. We average around 480KB/Sec., I realize the wiring in the house is long in some parts but is there anything I can check or do to improve transfer speeds within the network?

I thought maybe the old router was the issue but I disconnected it and it made no difference.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Would help to know which Windows version is being used on these PCs? Vista did have issues with slow network transfer but SP1 seems to have helped that issue.

In Vista also check Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features "Turn windows features on or off" and untick "Remote Differential Compression"

In any Windows version disable your Firewall to test its not the cause.

3. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

All PC's but 1 run Vista.

I will uncheck that option you list.

Is the Windows Firewall really needed behind a router? Or should one just turn it off?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

On the Windows firewall, personally I tend to keep it active as it does no harm, while the outbound protection is not great and you have to create rules its some level of protection in Vista at least.

If your router has NAT and SPI then you have a fairly good level of inbound protection

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds