Slowest Wifi speeds (Data)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ExOxE, Apr 13, 2013.

1. ExOxE

ExOxE Corporal

Hi Guys,

I just setup a small home network, I have 2 laptops, and they are as follows:

Main Machine: Acer V3-771G - Nplify 802.11a/g/n + BT 4.0
    Second Machine: Acer V3-571G - nplify 802.11a/g/n + BT 4.0

So the second machine is the main homegroup, and I use my main machine to connect to that homegroup via password protection, both laptops are connected to the internet via Wi-Fi connection to my DLINK 2730B ADSL2+ Modem/Router.

However, when I try and transfer files from one another, I get an average of UNDER 1 Megabyte per second, like right now I am transferring a 700MB video file from my secondary machine to my main machine, and its averaging out at around 880 KB/Sec, and sometimes jumps upto just over 1 MB/Sec, surely this is not right, and should be 1000x faster? The laptops are less than 5 metres away from one another, but I can put them direcrtly next to each other and it makes no lick of diffirence, does anyone here know how to increase the speeds of Wi-Fi data transfer? I am using a legitimate copy of Windows 8 Professional, with ALL current critical updates, I have installed ALL the latest drivers for ALL the hardware in each laptop from acers very own website support pages for each mmodel laptop.

I am very new to networking, especially within windows 8, and I don't quite know if I have even set it up right, but I did connect to the secondary laptop by Joining its homegroup and inputting the correct password, then it found all the shared data on that machine for me to see and choose what I want to do with it.

Both machines are new, the secondary laptop was my main machine until Thursday, when my brand spanking new Acer v3-771G arrived, and ofcourse being much more powerful, I made that my main PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

David

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Wireless is notorious for being affected by interference from lots of things, from cordless phones to microwaves to the construction of the building. I appreciate that the laptops are close to each other, but are they close to the router as well, as that is what passes the traffic.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds