SM Bus Controller driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rod Buchanan, May 3, 2010.

1. Rod Buchanan

Rod Buchanan Private E-2

I recently reloaded windows on aan HP a1210n desktop with an ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard. The Chipset is an an ATI Radeon Express 200. I am running windows XP with all updates.
    I was told by a tech at HP to use 9-8Legacy-XP32-64-dd-ccc drivers which I downloaded to take care of a no driver issue for the SM Bus Controller.
    I can not get the driver to take. Any one have any ideas?:confused

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

SMBus Controller should be in the Chipset package, but possible issue in it not installing correctly could be your Antivirus software, so if you have any installed (plus other security applications) disable or uninstall it until you have sucessfully installed the Chipset.

I would try these drivers HERE from ATi for the xpress 200 motherboard.

What service pack is your Windows XP at?
    What items in Device Manager have yellow ! marks, know about the SMbus but are there others?

3. Rod Buchanan

Rod Buchanan Private E-2

I tried the ATI drivers. The system I am using is XP Home.
    The only mark is in front of the SM Bus. All other systems are normal.
    Tried turning off the Norton 360 and reloading. :confusedStill can not get it to load.

4. DavidGP

Hi

Dont know what to suggest now as the Chipset driver contains the SMBus driver and the one from Ati should have cleared this up, the only thoughts are;

1. Do you have your original driver CD that came with the PC, if so pop it in the CD Drive and then goto Device Manager and double click the SMBus listing then choose Driver tab and click Update Driver, then click Search Automatically for Updated Driver.

2. Download and install this generic Ati xpress 200 chipset from HERE (I just opened the compressed installer package and the SMBus driver is listed.

5. Rod Buchanan

Rod Buchanan Private E-2

I am wondering if this situation might have something to do with the following. I may have left my flash drive in the computer when I ran the ATI driver file for the machine. I know that in some cases having a usb device attached to the machine when installing chip set files can cause similiar problems. What would you think of me deleting these drivers , rebooting and then reinstalling them?

6. DavidGP

Hi Rod

Yes, I would think that would be fine in uninstall and re-install, cannot hurt to try. Also do try the options I posted above.

7. Rod Buchanan

Rod Buchanan Private E-2

Disabled virus protection. Reinstalled driver. No change. I had been given two different drivers by dell chat as the correct driver. Uninstalled them both. Rebooted machine.
    Used the 10-2Legacy-XP32-64-dd-ccc driver this time. This is supposed to be the latest driver for this chipset. Rebooted...problem resolved. I believe that this problem may have been caused by having the flash drive in the USB port when I originally installed the drivers. Really either driver should have worked. The 10-2 being an updated version only. I guess I'll never know for sure. Thanks to all who pitched in.

8. DavidGP

Hi Rod

Good stuff, glad all is ok now, indeed the older drivers should have worked ok, but latest one would at least also cover any changes that where added to Windows that could have caused issues with compatability with the older drivers.

Cheers for the update

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds