SM Bus driver on Gateway tower

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Dec 21, 2007.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm working on a Gateway tower (model X400FX WinXP Home) and the driver at the Gateway site for the SMBus doesn't work. I know it's part of the Intel 945 chipset. I've also tried the chipset INF installer from the Intel site, and it also reports "This software must be used with a compatible chipset and/or operating system. Check your system documentation or contact the system Administrator." or something real close to that. Any ideas?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Gateway can supply the driver if its the original motherboard. Sometimes the SmBus driver is included with the OEM video driver.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

When I install drivers, I usually install the chipset drivers first, then the video, then the other remaining devices in no particular order; but it's always chipset 1st, video 2nd. Since I ran into this SMBus problem, I skipped the chipset temporarily and went ahead with the video driver. And it took care of it! Then I installed the modem, LAN, audio, etc.... and retried the chipset last- it worked!
    Thanks!
    ...and Happy Holidays:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds