Small business network problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rodface, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Rodface

Rodface Private E-2

Greetings to all, I'm a newcomer to the forums, hopefully i can find some answers to this problem i'm having. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

We're having network issues with a couple of computers at the small business I work at. All computers are connected to a wifi access point connected to the DSL line. There are about 10-12 computers on the network. Under normal circumstances, all computers can see each other and access files on one another. When I arrived, I pulled out my laptop, connected to the wifi, and could see all computers on the network and fileshare, right away. However, we have a Dell work laptop that was once able to do that and no longer can.

The laptop does have internet connectivity via the wifi router, but strangely it fails the Dell network diagnostic software connectivity tests.

The laptop has a unique IP (192.168.1.23) but pinging it from any of the other computers on the network results in a timeout.

The laptop is on the same subnet mask, same DHCP, same DNS settings as all the working computers.

I've updated the TCP/IP to v6, after a suggestion I saw on another site. Hasn't solved the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Thanks for any help!

2. JonBoyFishhead

JonBoyFishhead Private First Class

What kind of Operating System(s) are you running?

3. Rodface

Rodface Private E-2

Hi JonBoy,

all computers are running Windows XP.

Thanks,

4. JonBoyFishhead

JonBoyFishhead Private First Class

ok, first of all, you need to check your firewall settings. Click "start", "control panel", "security center" scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says: Manage Security Settings for. Click on "windows firewall" now look at the top of the dialogue box and click on the "exceptions" tab. make sure there is a check mark in the file sharing box. next click on the "advanced" tab. Within that box click on the "ICMP" tab. place a check mark in the box beside "allow incoming echo request". after doing this, you should be able to successfully ping that pc from any other pc on the network.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds