Small but URGENT problem: displaying font

Discussion in 'Software' started by claptrap, Mar 15, 2011.

1. claptrap

claptrap Private First Class

I want to make a glossary for my Korean students, so I typed the words I in Google Translate: I don't speak a word of Korean so this would be the best way to explain difficult words - my imagination is running short on how to mime colorectal cancer to beginner/lower intermediate students.

However, when I copy the words across to Word, they do not display, showing only the usual boxes. I tried to use, Regional Languages, Install East Asian Languages option but I get a message saying that support for these languages are are already installed. However, I don't see any Korean font on the drop down list in Word - unless it's a name I don't recognise. I can use either Office 2000 or 2007 (although I prefer the former).

So, what do I do next? If I have to download Korean Unicode, where can I get it? I've

got till tomorrow 9 am! (That's GMT -7)

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

DavidGP is online so maybe he can help with a real solution. You are using XP, I believe?

If you open either of the two documents below does Word prompt you to help display them correctly? [I zipped the docx because MG doesn't recognize that format for attachments]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  3. claptrap

It does!
    ...So why I cannot copy and paste from Google Translate?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cheers Sach2, dunno if I will be of much help with this one, but I will give it a go with what I have just tried out this moment,

What exact versions of Office do you have (they come in many versions like Basic, Pro and Ultimate etc)? plus what service pack?

What version of Windows and Service Pack?

I just tried this and typed "Hello" into Google Translate, and gained the following 안녕하세요 which I can only imagine its correct as I speak no Korean at all, but I used IE9, Word 2010 (Pro) and also tried it in Notepad, and the text shows in Korean characters ok, I have not installed any language packs.

My next suggestion is try another translation website and babelfish has been around for long before google but its translation of Hell is 여보세요 so now I dont know whos right with the translation!!

try copy and pasting into Notepad or Wordpad (which come with Windows)

So next question is what Browser are you using and if you try a different one does it copy and paste the text ok? (can use Opera or Firefox if you have IE or vice versa)

안녕하세요

5. claptrap

I have XP machine and both of my Office packages are Ultimate versions. Just updated Firefox.

I managed to copy the Korean words into Notepad and 2007 perfectly fine but not into Word 2000. So it seems to be a problem with that version... I'm not surprised about the 2000, nobody has managed to get Khmer Unicode working - although it doesn't work in 2007 either. So maybe the problem is XP or mine is just corrupt version...

Anyway, at least I can use the 2007 one, although it takes like 1/2 hour to start. (Reminds me of turning on my 486 machine: press the button and go and make myself a stir fry... 2007 is also a great excuse for procrastinating! lol)

So, thanks guys, I really appeciate the fast response!

I'm still baffled how come the downloaded Word 2000 file displayed the Korean font perfectly? :confused

6. sach2

I'm running Win7, (I don't have Office installed on my only XP system). Now, I don't have Korean language for Win7 installed but I can copy and paste to Word 2007 from google translate in Korean. If I do step 1 below I have Korean as an available language in Office although I am using English. I don't know how that fits in but do you have Korean listed in MS Office 2007 Language settings?

P.s. I was hoping that when you opened one of those gloss1.doc attachments it would prompt to install something from your installation disc like a language pack. I guess that did not happen. :(

EDIT: Well at least you can use 2007. I can only access the help menu for 2007 version and luckily MS Help gets better and better. I'm not sure about 2000 but I seem to remember being asked for the installation disc whenever I tried to open a new type of file. I guess they installed as little as possible back then to save HD space.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  7. claptrap

By the way, Babelfish shows two alternatives, while Google translate shows four. II don't speak a word of Korean either but it could be a) alternative words like Hi! Howdy! etc b) whether the translation is a formal or informal word or c) typical for Asian languages is that how you greet, address etc someone depends on the person's social status and age. Some languages that depends on the speakers status (Thai is like that, I think) and sometimes it depends on the other person's status (e.g. Khmer).

8. claptrap

I noticed that there are many more fonts installed in 2007, and now I have Korean also in my language bar, although it still displays English fonts. I guess that means I don't have Korean language pack installed?

Does MS offer them as free downloads - I don't have the installation disk any more - or do I have to go somewhere else?

9. sach2

If you switch between Word 2000 and 2007 you might find this UbitMenu addon useful. It lets you keep the Ribbon interface so you can learn it and yet adds a Menu tab so you can access the old style drop down lists for different functions.

I don't use Word very often and am trying to learn the Ribbon interface but tend to get frustrated finding things. I eventually gave in and installed this because it lets you cheat when you are in a hurry to find something you remember from the old menus.

***I agree about Office 2007, if I had it to do over again I probably would have saved my money and kept Office 2003. Faster and more than sufficient for my needs.

Edit: Hmm, I closed all my Help windows but I didn't see free version for Korean. There are apparently two types Language Packs and Language Interface packs (one is free and one must be bought). Just type Language Packs in the Help window and it will provide links but it was still rather confusing.

10. DavidGP

Office 2007 does like a fairly powerful PC, althoug my work one is not and it opens Office 2007 fine, can be a number of things making it slow, main thing is an Antivirus app that has Office scanning enabled (Norton), but can be other things.

Glad you have a workaround for now.

I run Office 2010 now as I like to keep way way ontop of the new apps, plus as Office 2010 is native 64bit now for users of 64bit capable Windows, its fast as hell, but then my current desktop is fast as hell anyways.

Cheers for that info, I thought as much but didnt wish to post that thought, as to not make a dill of myself ;)

Mmm could try the very old Global IMEs (Input Method Editors) HERE and see if they work for Office 2000.

11. claptrap

Thanks, I'll try that when I have slept after work (its 4 am here: I need to get up in 3 hours). I assume that the package installs automatically?

Like you confirmed my suspicion, Office 2007 just needs more powerful machine than my laptop with one of the old Centrinos and rather full 80GB IDE HDD.

12. DavidGP

Hi

yes its an .exe installer and should install automatically, may need from memory you to click a few nexts to start the process going into the final parts of the install, but double click the .exe and follow the prompts.

Maybe things you can do to make O2007 work quicker and a very quick test is boot to safe mode (F8 at boot) and then open O2007, say Word or Excel up and see if they are quicker? if they are I may have a few options for you to try in Normal mode, but that can wait till your rested up.

13. claptrap

Thanks all for your help. It seems that the easiest way of getting Korean fonts installed is to ask someone to get me a copy on a disk - my connection is too slow for downloading anything (dial-up speed).

Thanks Sach for the program link, it certainly sound the kind of thing I need. :)

David GP, I will try to your suggestion at next boot... I wonder if it is something to do with Windows checking the installation every time? Windows 2000 has starting also giving messages about verifying files or something, which it never did before. Or at least there was no messages saying so before

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds