Small fan instead of Heatsink?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jagdpanzer, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Private First Class

I have an extra fan and heatsink that came with my old graphics card... I'd like to use it on the FSB chip (I think that's what this is...) to improve my cooling. Would this work, and is it a good idea? The heatsink feels a little hot to me, and I'd like it to run cooler.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

some small VGA coolers double as chipset coolers, usually (maybe always) the little round ones that are only meant to cool the vga core. if it fits and can be secured, then by all means go for it

3. Jagdpanzer

Well, one big problem... where do I plug the little connector in to run the fan? Might there be an extra connector... or can I buy a small power cable-to-fan connector adapter?

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

If you look at your motherboard manual you may find a "System Fan" plug there that you could plug the connector into but as ViperBoy says make sure that it can be secured properly and you must use a thermal paste. The chip you are referring to is probabaly the "North Bridge" chip of your motherboard chipsets.

5. Jagdpanzer

You're right, I'm thinking of the North Bridge. (Man, have I learned a lot the past few days!)
    However, that presents two additional snags: 1) The SysFan plug is a 3-pin like the CPU fan, and 2) It's on pretty much the opposite side of the MoBo, so... the cord's too short. I'm guessing there's no extension, or (I have an Antec PSU with fan connectors missing two pins) power cable - to - fan plugs...?

6. BrianBakerOrlando

BrianBakerOrlando Private First Class

soder,electric tape,the right 3 pin connector longer wire....CUT connect longer wire so it can reach and add the 3 pin piece to the wire sodder it tape it w/e u feels is better for you...plug it in an there ya go..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds