Small problem concerning start menu in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by bradleigh, May 30, 2014.

1. bradleigh

bradleigh Private E-2

I have this problem where I'm trying to unpin a tile from my start menu, yet every time I right-click it, no bar comes up that gives me the option to unpin it (like it used to do).

Anyone know how to fix this?

[​IMG]

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is it the tile "Downloads" that you have highlighted?

First off I would reboot as a open/used file may not be deleted or changed if the OS still has it open in memory, then try and delete, if not boot into safe mode (F8 at boot) and try and remove it there as nothing should be locking out the file.

3. bradleigh

bradleigh Private E-2

Yeah, it's the "Downloads" tile.

Tried restarting, and I got nothing. Still doesn't work.

Tried booting in safe mode, and all I get is a black screen with only my cursor showing up and from time to time going into that loading animation. Oh, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in all corners of the screen occasionally, as well.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  4. bradleigh

bradleigh Private E-2

Anyone?

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Two alternative or complementary suggestions.

1) I you have a Restore Point dating back to a time before this problem arose, restore to that point.

2) Run CCleaner's Cleaner utility. If that makes no difference, you could also run its Registry Cleaner. If you use the latter, backup your registry when prompted by CCleaner. You can download CCleaner from majorgeeks.com if you don't already have it.

6. bradleigh

bradleigh Private E-2

Still nothing after both the Cleaner and Registry Cleaner.

7. bradleigh

bradleigh Private E-2

Is this just impossible to fix or something?

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Not impossible, but a limited amount of readers of your post are running 8.1. I don't run it and in fact know no one that runs it.
    Since less than 13% run Windows 8.1, you might get better help if you go to a forum where Windows 8 users hang out. http://www.eightforums.com/

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

I run Windows 8.1 on a multiple pcs so not as if many do not run it, but you should be able to right click and "unpin from start" the icon, does that not work, if not try safe mode F8 at start and do the same.

Also if you and will need to be in the admin account logon, look at the desktop folder, see if that is evident and if so delete the unwanted folder.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds