Smart Defrag 3

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fleabus, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

If I am not mistaken, that is the app that continuously defrags specified drives whenever the computer is idle. It's great for keeping frag levels at nearly zero percent. However, from what I've read (quite a bit), it is not so good for your disks. The process of defragging is an intense one in terms of disk wear and tear. You might be better served by an app that automatically defrags your drives weekly or even monthly. Just something to take into consideration.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Better to keep plenty of drive space clear and defrag manually once a month or so, if on W7/8, forget about defragging, the inbuilt method is fine.

4. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

rustysavage:
    There is an option for each of your HDDs to turn Automatic Defrag ON or OFF
    on the main GUI.
    On the Defrag drop down there is an option to Defrag and Prioritize Files which I find useful.

Happy trailz,
    Fleabus

5. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. As satrow advises, I only defrag about once a month and that seems to be adequate according to various HDD benchmarking apps that do not reveal any significant performance differences between the pre and post defrag states.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds