Smart Response Technology works with WD 1TB, not with 2TB

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jman9, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Jman9

Jman9 Private E-2

Hi all,
    I have been successfully running Intel Smart Response Technology version 10.6.0.1002 on a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 board with a Core i3-2120 processor and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I have a WD Caviar Black 1TB drive and an OCZ Agility3 60GB SSD with firmware 2.25. I recently upgraded the machine to a Caviar Black 2TB drive by cloning the drive using the Acronis WD edition clone tool. However, SRT refuses to start with the 2TB drive. The partitions all appear to be correctly created, and the drive does not have any physical problems (bad sectors) as it's brand new. I verified that it can accelerate another drive on the system (a Seagate 1TB), so it does not appear to be a software, driver, or configuration issue. I also swapped the 1TB drive back in and was able to accelerate it with no problems. I also tried the latest versions of the RST driver, up to the current one, and nothing I have done will get it to work. When it fails to configure with the newer versions of driver, it complains that the operation failed, but gives no suggestions. Sometimes it says to try restarting, sometimes not.

The errors that show up are:

An error occurred while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed.

An error occurred and the selected disk or volume could not be accelerated. Please restart your computer, and then try the operation again.

I am ready to try reinstalling Windows and all of the applications on the new drive, but I don't want to spend the time to do this without a reasonable idea that it will actually fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this problem?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Just because a drive is new doesn't mean it doesn't have bad sectors, its a long shot but i would run a drive test on the hard drive before you go with the windows install.

3. Jman9

Jman9 Private E-2

OK, here's an update on the status.
    I pulled the drive and ran some tests. At first, it seemed to have problem areas, but then I wiped the drive completely and retested it. Everything seems fine. I then tried to accelerate the drive again... still no go, even after formatting, erasing, etc. So, I guess the conclusion is that it's not going to work. I decided to stick with the 1 TB drive as a boot drive with acceleration and use the 2 TB as a data drive. It's a bit more work, but probably cleaner anyway. I know it's not a very satisfactory answer, but at least the system works.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds