Smartphone application

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sailor, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

A friend of mine and I have come up with an idea for an application for iPhone, and perhaps other smartphones as well. Firstly, I would like to clarify that it is not the "man, this is so damn koool" idea. We had the basic idea, enhanced it with elements that we found useful and we thought through the details. The bad thing is that neither of us has programming knowledge nor are we studying anything relevant. Even if we could build the application ourselves, as far as we know you need to register a company. So we figured that we would have to contact a company in order to "sell" the idea. This is where I need your thoughts.

Has anyone of you tried something similar? Do you happen to know the legal framework on how to bargain your idea without actually exposing it?

Any input is more than welcome :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Salior

Long time no chat Kala Christouyenna to you and family!

As for the app, basically if you have an idea then you need to protect its Intellectual Property (IP) in a patent, so dont know what your laws are on patents, but type all the idea up (include drawing and all the toughts on the apps usability etc) and mail via postal mail it to yourself as a basic patent, but if the idea is new and no one has an app like it so far then seek leagl advice.

3. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

Halo, I almost did not recognize you in your new nick :p Merry Christmas to you too and go easy on that pudding!!

Thanks for your reply. The idea is relatively original. There are a couple of existing apps that go near the main concept but none of them seems to put focus on the philosophy that we want our app to have. That is what makes us believe that the application will be successful.
    All we have found out so far is that when you hire a developer to implement an idea, you sign a Non-disclosure agreement (NDA) but I don't know how such agreements work in detail or how much security they provide. I hope there is a legal-geek around :p

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hahaha yes on the new nick, and trying to resist the puddings, its futile though!

Yes a NDA is needed if you are hiring 3rd party developers or actually all the parties involved should even if you are friends developing this idea, sign an NDA and a legal document to state in legal terms that the parties involved will not divulge any info out to others and to not go it alone and break from the team to develope this idea on their own thus basically "shafting the other developers".

While a few lawyers are on the site, most of us are not and really if you wish to go deeper its worth seeing of you can chat to a Lawyer whos versed in Intellectual Property laws and Software Developement.

Do read up on creating NDA and IP law on the internet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds