SMOKE! Did I fry my desktop PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KimCaroline, Apr 18, 2010.

1. KimCaroline

KimCaroline Private E-2

:cry My dear husband accidently ripped out the HD caddy's fan while switching HDs in my DELL Dimension 9200c. He had trouble getting the fan back in the caddy (he'd rather be watching the Heritage Golf tourney) but said he had finally fixed it.

When I turned on my PC, I heard a POP! then smelled smoke. I immediately unhooked my PC then opened the case and investigated: the top of the power supply was singed!

What should I do next? Did I (HE) fry my PC?

Me :cry:cry:cry:cry

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, new power supply needed for sure! I just hope it didn't take out anything else.:) Hard to say if he was the culprit, all depends if the power supply has short circuit protection because that's what it sounds like, a short circuit. Dell does not impress me on their power supply quality.

BTW, I'm not accusing anyone here, sometimes the least little thing breaks the camel's back.;)

3. KimCaroline

KimCaroline Private E-2

Where do you suggest I look for a new power supply if not Dell? Thank you!

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Newegg seems to be the best place for you Yanks!

Got a budget?

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ooh, you have a small form factor PC. Wait for someone who knows Dell better than I. You may be able to use a mATX power supply(that's the size and not the maker), check with Dell service and see what they suggest and charge, get the part no. too from them.

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You may have no choice but to go with Dell. That's a downside with going with the big makers. But still, before plugging in any new supply, the wiring does need to be double checked. When the caddy was pulled out, an exposed wire may have come in contact with something else, causing a short. You don't want the keep frying PSUs, or something else. Not good news, I'm afraid.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds