So what is wrong with my laptop?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mileszew, Mar 26, 2014.

1. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I found this on another forum:

Hope it helps.

3. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Could you please explain to me how to do the methods you gave me? I'' new to computers and don't want to make it worse, I also don't have the guts to use another forum.

Thanks

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Just my two bits. The following are the the restore points on your system.
    You mentioned in a earlier thread that you installed Avast whilst trying to work the Read & run Me. And you encountered boot issues soon after. From your logs.
    Please follow mdonah and Adyr's advice first.
    Else try using to boot disk to restore you system to date and time before you faced the problems.

Pretty much same navigation you got from TimW for running FRST. Just select System Restore at the end. Place a check on show restore points. Choose a point before you had issues. Trojans were removed from you system by Timw. Hope the restore points are clean.
    Cheers...

6. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Ok man thanks alot.

7. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

The SFC method Adry and mdonah of them gave me gives me an error saying: "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Widows and run sfc again."

And I don't know how to do a repair install, can you please guide me through the process. Thanks

8. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

9. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

10. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Run SFC again, I would think.

11. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

It keeps showing the same thing over and over again

12. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Could you please try to restore as per my post #5
    Cheers..

13. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Hi Sikvik, I tried clicking on System Restore but it said there are no restore points! Is a reformat the best option right now?

14. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

15. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

16. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

You are most welcome. I understand your urgency as you need the Laptop for your studies. I'm sorry we could not resolve the issue.
    Hope other MGs will chip in. I'm thinking of command line Fixes. Unfortunately I'm not very adept at the same. I'll research the same.

Cheers..

17. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Thank you for understanding about how much I need this laptop to be working! It's ok, you have tried your best to help me, that's all that matters:)

Thanks

18. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

In an earlier thread, IIRC you mentioned you had an Easy RE disk. Lets see if it fixes the Bootloader. Give the Automated Repair a shot. I'm also seeing people having to run Start Up Repair up to three times. Any way scroll down and watch the video.
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/recovering-windows-bootloader/

Cheers..

19. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

The Automated Repair in EasyRE caused the 0xc0000428 error.

Thanks

20. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Heavens!!
    Could you try it again?
    Does it detect any restore points?

Cheers..

21. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Sure mate! The System Restore function detects one restore point, but it went stuck on restoring data. If the EasyRE does not work I will try the Windows DVD method.

Thanks once again for your endless help:)

22. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

23. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

And if you need direct communication with me I have the following below:

Phone Number & Whatsapp - 082319807778 (Indonesia)
    Line - mileszew
    BlackBerry Messenger - 75B55C35

Thanks

24. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

After manually rebuilding the Bootloader from scratch I still have the 0xc0000428 error. And when I do "bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd" it says 0 Windows Installations have been found. Is my laptop dead? lol

Thanks

25. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

I would like to ask if it is possible to do a Repair Install in this kind of situation, if so could you please guide me as I do not want to do anything wrong.

Thanks

26. mdonah

With what I've read in this thread, you may be better advised to wipe the hard drive with DBAN (the link at the top is for the latest version [2.2.8]) and do a clean install of everything.

FYI, I use DBAN v1.0.7 because the later versions won't run on my 9 year old laptop. If you're re-installing Windows on the same hard drive, run DBAN interactively and choose single pass.

27. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

I have some questions on DBAN

What does DBAN do?
    How will I run it?
    Will all my data be erased?
    Will my laptop be fixed? - I need a most likely answer for this
    Is it the best thing to do now? - I suppose it is

Thanks

28. mdonah

Depending how you run it, DBAN will make the hard drive impossible to recover data from. You can have it run up to 7 passes. You would do this if you were getting rid of the drive or donating the laptop at some point in the future.

You would run the bootable CD in interactive mode so you can select a single pass because you're only re-installing Windows, drivers and your apps.

Your data WILL be erased.

Barring a malfunctioning hard drive, once you've wiped the drive with DBAN and re-installed what you need, your computer should be back to normal although, you won't have the recovery partition that manufacturers create when they do their workup on the computer.

I don't see another choice (I wish there was). You've tried everything that was suggested and, unfortunately, none of it worked for you.

29. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

30. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Ok thanks, one more thing, will DBAN automatically reinstall Windows or must I reinstall it on my own? Also, do I just burn DBAN to a disc? And then just go for the single pass?

Thanks

31. mdonah

DBAN won't re-install Windows — that you have to do on your own. If you downloaded the ISO file, yes you would burn it to a CD. After it boots up, you would need to choose to run DBAN interactively so you can choose a single pass. Otherwise, it will default to 3 passes which isn't necessarily bad, but will take forever and a day to complete.

As I stated in an earlier post, I use DBAN v1.0.7 burned to a CD (my laptop did not have a floppy drive). For a single pass on my 80GB hard drive, it takes 19 hours and 43 minutes to complete.:eek

32. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

DBAN will wipe your drive clean. For reinstallation contact Toshiba Indonasia for an OEM disk. Keep your model number handy.
    They will charge a nominal account.
    Toshiba Indonasia(toll free)0-800-1000-550.
    I won't be able to post again till tomorrow as I'm using my phone, for this post. Hate typing on a tiny touch screen.

Cheers.

33. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Can I just download the ISO of the installation disc? And btw, what is OEM? Must it be a OEM disc? Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  34. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

OEM= original equipment manufacturer. You will need the disk from Toshiba. The sticker key on your lap top is OEM and will not work on the digital river disk you used for trouble shooting. Please backup your data first. Call up Toshiba Indonesia for the disk.

Cheers..

35. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

But I bought my laptop from Australia?

Thanks

36. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

37. mdonah

Sikvik links you to a Microsoft Community page that explains how you can use the ISO you downloaded to install Windows and change the Product Key to the one of the sticker on your laptop to legally activate it.

I had posted a reply with a link to Toshiba Support in Australia but, I don't know why it's not showing in this thread.

38. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Thank you, I am now in the process of backing up.

Thanks

39. mdonah

I'm glad you got it up and running again. :)

40. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

When I run DBAN on Interative Mode I get This:
    DBAN finished with non-fatal errors.
    This is usually caused by disks with bad sectors.
    Send the log file with all support requests.

Hardware clock operation start date: Sun Apr 06 13:23:25 2014
    Hardware clock operation finish date: Sun Apr 06 13:23:30 2014

I do not dare to turn off my laptop right now, please tell me if it is safe ASAP! I don't know if it ran properly because it only took 5 seconds. Please help.

Thanks

41. mdonah

Oh my word!! I have an uneasy feeling about this. :cry

What version of DBAN did you run?

When the screen came up to choose the drive to wipe, were there two choices or more and did you choose the top one??

The very first time I ran DBAN was v1.0.6 on a Dell Dimension 4500S. When that screen came up, I had two choices to pick from. I chose the top one and started DBAN and like you, everything was over in about five seconds.

It turned out that DBAN v1.0.6 detected my BIOS as a physical hard drive and I chose IT instead of the actual hard drive and wound up wiping the BIOS — I had to replace the mobo.

I hope, in your case, that whatever you chose to wipe was a small partition that DBAN detected as a drive and not your BIOS.

42. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

I ran DBAN v1.07

I chose Interactive Mode by pressing Enter and then I cannot remember what screen was next. Sorry, I have lots of things to remember.

Is this serious? What happens if I delete my BIOS?

Thanks

43. mdonah

Honestly, I thought that BIOS detection was done away with in version 1.0.7. It's the version I use on my Dell Precision M70 laptop and it only detects my "C:\" drive. But, maybe DBAN detects some BIOSes but not others. I don't know.

What happens when you delete the BIOS of the computer, is (and I can't put this any nicer) the computer is rendered useless. All of the information that was on the hard drive is still there but you won't be able to access it (unless you pull it and connect it to another computer). None of the devices handled by BIOS on startup (HDD, CD drive, USB, etc., etc.) will work because there are no instructions to tell the computer what to do with them. If you restart the laptop after the BIOS is erased, all you'll get is a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left. It won't even go to the POST screen.

When it happened with my Dell Dimension 4500S, I called Dell and explained what I had done and what the results were. The Dell tech said I had corrupted the mother board and it had to be replaced. So, 4 days and $162 later I had my computer back up and running again. And, of course, any time I've used DBAN afterward, I've made sure to select the actual hard drive I want to wipe.

Replacing the mobo on the 4500S was really simple. But, I've done the same with the M70 (bad USB ports). I wouldn't have attempted to do so without the M70 Service Manual right in front of me.

I wish I had better news. :-o

44. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

Oh no, this is very bad news for me. But when I restarted my laptop it went back to the same old 0xc00004 screen. This time could you give me step by step instructions please? I don't want to get into another fatal accident.

Thanks

45. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

46. plodr

Ignore the link above.

This is the correct one
    nope that's incomplete too
    Code:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html
    It's going to take me a bit to track it down.

This offers more things to do when the repair fails
    Code:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  47. mileszew

mileszew Private E-2

I'm sorry plodr but I would like to continue the DBAN procedure because it would be nice to completely start over, sorry for any hard feelings.

Thanks

48. plodr

No problem. But if I understand, you supposedly wiped the hd and still have the same error you had in one of the threads in post #1, 0xc0000428. Is that correct?

If DBAN wiped the drive, all data is permanently removed and no longer recoverable. You should not be seeing a Windows boot error because there is no OS on the drive.

49. scott75

scott75 Private E-2

http://www.stellarinfo.com/windows-data-recovery.php

this is good stuff

50. mdonah

This is EXCELLENT news. It means you didn't wipe the BIOS but instead, wiped a small partition.

Step-by-Step for DBAN:

On opening screen, press Enter to start DBAN in interactive mode.

At Disks and Partitions screen use the arrow keys to move the selection arrow next to the drive you want to wipe. The model number of the hard drive is what you want.

Press the Spacebar to select the drive. The word WIPE will show.

Press M for method. Use arrow keys to move selection arrow to Quick Erase. Press the Spacebar to select.

It will take you back to the Disks and Partitions screen with your choices listed.

Press F10 to start the wiping process. In the upper right, figures will begin to show the wiping progress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, you can remove the CD because everything is running from RAM.

When it's completed, you'll need to use the Power button to shut down/Restart the computer.

I don't know the size of the hard drive you're wiping so it could take quite a while even for Quick Erase. As I stated in an earlier post, it takes 19 hours and 43 minutes to Quick Erase my 80GB hard drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds