Socket "A" mobo to use AsusA8Nsli LAN BroadBand

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nichos, Oct 11, 2005.

1. nichos

nichos Private E-2

My Socket A PC has no LAN but has a Network card.
    My Asus A8N sli nforce4 PC has two onboard LANs.
    They are connected with cat5 cable.
    They both have winXPsp2
    1. They network OK.
    2. The Asus one can get on the BroadBand when Socket A PC has it installed.
    BUT
    3. Socket A PC does not connect on the Broadband when the Asus has the
    BBand installed.

No 3 above is my prefered case.

Is there an expert who has an "A" socket PC with Network card, dialing the Broadband of a PC with onboard LAN, and both on winXPsp2 ?.

Only such a person need try to help PLEASE.

Thank you, nick

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It sounds like you are attempting to share via ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), and not using a router. Since everything goes through one machine (this being the server), you would have to set up ICS on said machine to allow others to share Internet.

3. nichos

nichos Private E-2

Yes simple ICS, as I described my setup, only cat5 cable between a LAN mobo and a Network card mobo.

The network fine, Lan mobo ICShares to network card mobo, BUT NOT VV which I would prefer. Are you such an expert?, then you are the man.

I do not wish to use routers, swtches etc.

Thanx, nick

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

ICS can be a creature in its own way that if the Firewall on the machine that is the "server", will not or should I say may not allow other machines to access the Internet from it.

First thing, if wanting to stay with ICS, are you getting a True IP on all machines, or getting something like 169.254.x.x on the one in question.

Also, Routers are not that much these days, I would go with a Router, then playing with ICS, due to the slowest machine will always cause a bottle neck, and ICS can be a pain in the butt at times.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds