Socket A Sempron 3200+?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by d58tt, Aug 28, 2006.

1. d58tt

d58tt Private E-2

I was told my PC could be upgraded to a AMD Sempron 3200+ CPU without changing the motherboard. I know my CPU is a Socket A, but for some reason I can't seem to find a Socket A Sempron 3200+ cpu anywhere.

Is Socket AM2 the same thing as Socket A?

2. malware killer

malware killer Private First Class

NO, they are NOT the same. Depending on the age of your motherboard, you MIGHT be able to update (FLASH) the BIOS to accept one of the faster Semprons, but if you can't find a Sempron 3200+ (I don't recall ever seeing one in the retail channel), you MIGHT be able to find a Socket A / Socket 462 Sempron 3000+, though I get the impression that they are becoming scarce as the days go by.

If you'd tell us which motherboard you have, we might be able to help you with more specific suggestions as to which CPUs will work in your system.

The ONLY Sempron 3200+ CPUs I am aware of do NOT fit into Socket A motherboards; they were designed for different sockets, and SOME of the Semprons were sold ONLY to system builders (Compaq, E-Machines, HP, and so on). They were NOT released into the retail channel, so you probably won't find one sitting on a shelf waiting to be purchased, even if your motherboard has the proper socket...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds