Software Evaluation.

Discussion in 'Software' started by SBader, Nov 20, 2015.

1. SBader

SBader Private E-2

Greetings Geeks,
    I have a "paid for" version of System Mechanic and I am not quite sure about installing it on my new hybrid PC (WIN 10). It has become a bit too intrusive in the later versions. Any feedback?

2. countmike

countmike Private E-2

Don't use it, there's enough tools in W10.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

By intrusive, what areas of the software are you worried about?

Personally if you do not wish to use this software then thats a choice as you can find many free softwares that while may not be All In One like SM but you can get one or two apps that will suffice, CCleaner is a good choice for an all around basic clean tool, but for many other options as defrag cleaning etc to be honest Win10 does this well out of the box, only thing I have added to my main desktop with Win10 is CCleaner and my fav backup app as in Acronis True Image.

4. countmike

countmike Private E-2

"God Mode" for windows have all the tools needed, MS has hidden many good tools, it's about time they make one general cleaning and maintenance tool.

5. DavidGP

Hi Mike

For those that dont know how to enable "god mode" can you post some instructions?

6. SBader

SBader Private E-2

Thank you both. I do have CCleaner installed (although that too now likes to run in the background). That in fact is my problem with SM. I don't feel I need software to constantly run and check on items that can be checked manually and treated once in a while. Best feature I found in it was registry back up which did save me a lot of trouble once, long ago.
    The verdict then is do not use SM. BUT, CountMike, please elaborate on "GodMode".

7. DavidGP

Hi

You can disable the background running of CCleaner by clicking in CCleaner Options > Monitoring and untick all of the displayed options, this disables system monitoring.
    I'm with you SBader on checking things when I want too... yes some things, maybe auto defrag and backup are good to have as startups or auto options, but many are not which is why I slim my Startup list to bare bones, security and backup only.

I'd have wanted CountMike to elaborate on GodMode as he mentioned it but in lieu here are instructions http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/enabling-godmode-windows-10

avondude likes this.
  8. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

God Mode without a download.
    Make a new folder and name it "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" without the quotes. I use this in vista 7 and 8.1. This is from the properties page of my folder on my desktop.

Copy and paste works with the name above. Make a new folder. Copy between quotes. Right click on new folder. Select rename and then paste.

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds