Software for Dial-Up

Discussion in 'Software' started by SlaveLabor, Jul 16, 2005.

1. SlaveLabor

SlaveLabor Private E-2

Hello All,
    I am from Australia.
    Just wondering if anybody knows a program that can monitor incoming call whist on a dial-up connection. My modem is PCI Softv92. All I could find with google search was programs for American and UK numbers and not for Australian Numbers.
    Help would be appreciated as my father is getting pissed off that he cant get incoming calls whilst I am downloading lol.
    TY :cool:

2. meatball

meatball Private E-2

Hi,
    ... I am not up on the software that may be out there for this,.. but I do know that you can buy a hardware unit for not much money that will alert you with it's own ring when you have a call coming in. You might want to shop around abit for one of these however because my experience with the 'Catch-A-Call' unit (listed among others on the link below),.. is that by the time you have been alerted to the incoming call and you have logged off,.. the caller has already hung up. .................. There may be another make of this type that does a better job with this however.

http://search.ebay.com/catch-a-call_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1QQxpufuZx

3. meatball

meatball Private E-2

Also note,...
    I don't know what the costs are like in Australia, but they have come down quite a bit here in the states for Broadband internet service. You might want to explore that as a solution to your problem. That is the best way to go by far. .... Here in the states the cost is now not much more than a dial up connection,.. and the difference in connection speed and download speed is tremendous. ... You can be on the phone and on line at the same time. It's great.

4. SlaveLabor

SlaveLabor Private E-2

Yeah thought about Broadband but I'm not making much money at the moment and for a 256 connection its about $80 AU a month.

5. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Go to www.modems.com & check out the V.92 modems. If your ISP supports this modem, you can receive calls while online. The site explains it pretty good & also gives a link to check for supporting ISPs. Good luck.

PS: You must have "call waiting" with your telephone co. to enable this feature.

6. SlaveLabor

SlaveLabor Private E-2

Unfortunatly the site you gave me was for the US only. I don't know if my ISP likes the V.92 Modems or not but I will ring them tomorow (Sunday at the mom) and ask them about it.
    Thank you to everyone who gave me answers so quickly!!!

7. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Try to google it. Put "AU" in quotation marks to limit too many hits not from OZ. Good luck mate.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Better still, put com.au in your google search, in any of the first 3 search criteria boxes. This will help zero in on Australian providers. It will miss those that end in com and net, though. Maybe carry out more than 1 google search to catch more providers. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds