Software for reducing quality/size of an Avi file.

Discussion in 'Software' started by sach2, Nov 30, 2007.

1. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have a 136mb avi file of a music video. It is 1200 X 672 resolution with video data taking 120mb and audio data taking 15.4mb. I want to reduce the video data to about half this size while keeping the same aspect ratio so the picture is smaller but in proper proportion.

Any ideas on software to do this? I've tried SUPER but can't seem to find appropriate settings. VirtualDub should be able to do it but again I can't seem to find the settings or a tutorial. AutoGk same problem. I keep ending up with a 120mb file still at 1200X672. I hope to end up with a 40-70mb file that has decent video (6xx X 4xx) and good sound. All suggestions welcome, I've had no luck so far. :(

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. sach2

Thanks, dlb :) I love those sites.

I'm still working on it but am getting jerky/jumpy (moving too fast) video using SUPER to encode. Might be because I'm trying to direct stream-copy the audio. I'll keep experimenting, I just didn't expect it would be so difficult to configure.

If I figure it out, maybe I'll join VideoHelp and post a tutorial. :p

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You can use Dr.DivX to convert any file to DivX format and you can input a custom size if you want. The resulting file will have .divx extension, but it shouldn't be a problem as most media players can handle the .divx extensions. I've used Dr. DivX now for about a month and had overall good results. It's a tad slow, but what the heck, it works! I use it to convert large AVIs to DivX at 700mb so they'll fit on 1 CD for my home DVD player; it can play DivX files too. ;)
    Dr. DivX http://www.majorgeeks.com/Dr._DivX_d5208.html

5. sach2

dlb, thank you very much! :)

Dr. Divx worked great. I've tried to convert this file at least 2 dozen times over the last 6 weeks with no success. Finally! I ended with a 56mb file with 640X352 resolution and 320kb/s audio that plays properly. Perfect! Since divx is just a flavor of avi, I just added an .avi to the end of the file name so it opens with my regular player.

I really appreciate your having suggested this program as I probably would never have found it on my own. Thanks again! :)

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:hyper :D :celebrate :cool
    Don't you just love it when you're done pounding your head against the wall? :banghead
    ;) Glad I could help! :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds