software for removing unwanted programs and files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Minus, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Minus

Minus Private E-2

Can anyone reccomend some freeware for removing unknown programs and/or files from my cpu (win98)??? This question came to me when i press ctrl-alt-delete and there is a bunch programs running that dont look familiar and i have no idea what they are, so i need something to either identify these or remove them.

thanks

2. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Are you talking about applications or processes?

3. Minus

Minus Private E-2

i got windows 98, so i dont have a processes tab. I guess i would be talking about both applications and processes.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Yuh, the person said Windows 98. McFly?

There are a lot of programs that can be running with odd names, often in the Windows\System directory that are trojans or viruses. I would try and look some of them up here: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

This might tell you what they are, or optionally Google the name of the executable. This would be a good start. I will assume you have Windows Update current and are running virus protection.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

6. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Sorry. Should read the goddamned post properly first :eek:

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Check out CodeStuff http://codestuff.netfirms.com/news.shtml It's free, works on my W98SE. It lists all running processes and enables you to select or reject any process. Be careful unchecking any process as you may not be able to start your system again. What you can do is list the running processes here on MG and advice will soon be forthcoming on what each process does and if you need them at startup, or can delete them. Bazza

PS: Couldn't find this in MG search, so I have listed another link. Baz

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds