Software or Hardware

Discussion in 'Software' started by iman1002, Feb 5, 2010.

1. iman1002

iman1002 Private E-2

Ok. Picture this.....I have a client who was complaining that his laptop was in a reboot loop. I ran diagnostics and the hardware checked out. I then checked the software out and that is fine as far as I can tell. By the way, it never rebooted on me once in the three days that I had it.

He takes it home and within 5 minutes, he gets that same issue BSOD and rebooting. He brings it back to me and says it was fine until he went to update McAfee. A light goes off in my head and I uninstall McAfee and reinstall it. We had it here for two hours, in which time, it never once rebooted on us. I even updated it with the latest MS patches and still nothing. He does have some external drive that he connects to his system when he is home, I told him to scan them before use, to determine if they had a possible virus.

He took it home today again. He just called to say he had it turned on, unplugged in the kitchen (because I told him to do this, just in-case of some weird environmental issue) and it has been rebooting since he powered on.

This may be a stretch, but is it possible that microwaves, or leaky wiring is causing this issue? Like I said, I had it for three days and just now two hours and it never once rebooted, nor BSOD. I'm baffled on this one.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack?

What is the full BSOD code, and as it is BSODing then this guide will help for the mini dump file and attach it as per instructions here, but still would like the actual BSOD message that shows on screen.

If they boot into safe mode do they get the same?

What external devices are they plugging in at home that you did not have plugged in? if they dont plug any of these in do they get the same reboot and BSODs?

Very outside chance is their home poser supply very dirty as in very unstable, maybe lights in the home flicker etc?

3. iman1002

iman1002 Private E-2

SP3 is on the computer. He would get the same results in safe mode as well. Oddly enough, BSOD message referred to an IRQ address, which tells me that there was a write or read problem with the memory, but the memory checked out.

He just called to tell me that he just tried it in the basement and it booted fine. He is investigating further into this at home right now. This is such a strange problem.

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Does your friends use high powered high quality wireless speakers? near his pc?

.. just a thought.

Burrell

5. iman1002

iman1002 Private E-2

That was a thought I had too. I made him aware that this "could, in theory" cause this to happen. LOL

6. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

very very............... very low chance, but yeh i suppose it must be could maybe cause a problem ;)

Burrell

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds