Software Program For Damaged Pictures

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-9aee479f8f, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I have some old color photos that have turned reddish over the years and hope there is a free software program for photo restoration? Hope to at least reduce the redness.
    I use Picasa but it has limits for correcting color distortions. I tried turning the pictures to black and white and sepia but the picture quality is bad and it makes the picture blur.
    I don't even think there is still a professional photo shop around here in this digital photo era. My fear is the pictures are a lost cause.:cry
    Any suggestions?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you tried the GIMP? It's freeware and can accomplish almost anything Adobe Photoshop can.

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks. Looks like there is a lot to learn but I might give it a try when I have some extra time unless someone knows of a simpler program.

4. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Possibly |MG| Paint.NET? Not quite as advanced as The Gimp but it's a little easier to use. A little bit lower learning curve so to speak.

It does require Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

5. Anon-9aee479f8f

I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

6. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Many of the modern photo editing applications allow the sort of tools Photoshop has for repairing pictures and while this is a link to a photoshop guide it will do well with aiding you with repairing your pics with most good graphic/picture tools, and GIMP is good and similar to Photoshop

http://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com/repair_oldimages.html

Link saves me typing up a lot of info as this topic is something I used and still do, but I'm lucky to have Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom which help with their filters and tools.

Microsoft Photo Gallery can do some quick edits and maybe a quick fix for you http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/photo-gallery#photogallery=overview

8. Anon-9aee479f8f

I have never done more than basic photo enhancing like crop, resize, contrast, and brighten my pictures. Never took the time to learn much else because it was not necessary until I found this box of old pictures.
    I can see there is much to learn about layering. :confused
    I will take a look at you're suggestions. Thanks!

9. K@ABC

K@ABC Private E-2

Of the free offerings GIMP is by far the leader, however for simplicity of use (for doing something like what you want to do ) I like Fotor, with Photofiltre 7 a close second. I used combo of Fotor & Photoscape to restore a water damaged pic. My mother now uses it as her Facebook profile.

Attached Files:

10. Anon-9aee479f8f

OK some choices and some with more of a learning curve for the user than others. I will try the simpler ones first and work from there. Thanks everyone.

11. DavidGP

Hey katkat, how did you get on with this, me just revisiting older threads and checking up?

12. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks for asking DavidGP. I downloaded GIMP and did a little improvement to some pictures but not enough to be satisfactory. They are still very red. Wish there was something simpler but Picasa is not capable of changing the color that much
    Have not been able to devote the time it is going to take to really learn the GIMP program. I will keep at it as time allows.

13. DavidGP

Hi katkat

Not knowing how bad the images where to start with is difficult to judge what you need to do, but if you want I could have a look at 1 general one that's of the redness you mention and try some techniques on it and gain some steps for you to follow.

Now a bit of my background for you, I trained as a graphic designer in art school, ended up in photography and worked for Kodak for many years in digital imaging, then dabbled in computing at Kodak and gained an MVP award from Microsoft for testing of Windows and other software (currently 7 years awarded this), now diversified career into medical research and imaging for ophthalmology and work on studies for ARMD, Diabetes and Malarial Retinopathy, both clinical with patients and research with scientists and clinicians, so have a lot of experience with imaging.

I can Private message you with my personal email address so you don't think I'm a weirdass!! I'm willing to try and see if I can come up with a set of instructions for you to help clean up your pics if you want, I will not be offended at all if you say no, as its fair point.

14. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks David I appreciate you taking the time to look at it and I will send you one. I understand they may be beyond repair.

15. DavidGP

No probs and I have returned the image via email to you with what I can only think of is the best route to trying to recover the images more so they can be at least viewed and look OK and not that nasty red colour.

In the email I have sent some guides to the steps I took and picked the easiest ones I could with easy-ish steps.

16. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks DavidGP! I appreciate the effort. I will give your suggestions a try soon.

Second thought, wondering about all the pictures I have stored on CDs, should I be moving those to flash drives? My new laptop Win8 did not even come with a CD drive but my desktop Win7 has one. A couple years ago I had to find someone that still had a working floppy drive to retrieve a lot of pictures I had stored on floppies back in the Win98 days.

17. DavidGP

Hi Kat

They will be ok on CD for a fair few years BUT they do degrade over time, so yes moving to USB pen is good but you can also use Skydrive (now called OneDrive but not changed until the next round of Windows updates) to store your pics and files online in the "cloud" as its secure and accessible on any device with internet access.

Its built into Windows 8 and you can see it in Windows Explorer as a drive branch so just like dropping files into a folder.

I tend to have multiple copies of important docs, pics etc and online "cloud" , USB pen, old HDDs and my Windows server 2012 R2 box has backups of my PCs data folders, but the latter is overkill but its a pet project so I'm up to speed when the IT bods in work try to blindside us....

So memories are critical data so upshot is save in a few places and online is good an din OneDrive its good as you have one of the worlds biggest companies dealing with the maintenance of the servers and security of data.

I may also try a few other things on the pic you sent when I'm back in work next week as we may have something to clean up the image, as we do work on image quality for medial images and the ones I deal with are retina pictures so are predominantly red, just cannot remember all of the projects our geeks are working on,

Do please let me know how you get on and if I can help more please you have my email address.

18. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Hi Kat,

If they're not too much of a personal nature would you be able to upload a picture or two for us to see what they look like before you fix them up. Just curious. Thanks.

19. Anon-9aee479f8f

Puppywunder58 don't think there is going to be a fix for the color. DavidGP has suggested turning them to black and white as best option.

20. DavidGP

Not forgotten this, still chatting to the science folks in the uni in work yesterday on imaging projects they are working on that "may" aid in image recovery, should gain a in-house app next week I hope that I can run and see if it will fix the image better, I don't think it will as the sample you sent is really too far one colour as in red, and b&w is the better option so far but I will see.

21. Anon-9aee479f8f

Thanks David I appreciate that. In black and white the image is a little clearer but not great. Sadly it was most likely cheap film used also.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds