Software Talk

Discussion in 'Software' started by sunflowerseeds, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=189359

There's a link to a thread I made in the say hello section. Anyways basically I'am wondering what programs I would like the most to protect myself from people and bad things. I currently have nothing installed. I was taking opinion of different types of programs that could suit me. I have no idea which program protects what. I know I need a firewall, virus, trojan, spyware. And I don't know if there's firewalls in a virus program. I just don't know so opinions of people would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Here is my list.
    Avira AntiVir=antivirus
    Comodo Internet Security(firewall only part)
    SuperAntiSpyware
    MalwareBytes
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    WinPatrol.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

I use:
    Online Armor Firewall

AVG 8.5, custom install without the linkscanner and whatever the other one is. (I forgot)
    SpywareBlaster, update manually and enable protection for all browsers.
    MalwareByte's Antimalware, update manually and on demand scanner
    SuperAntispyware, update manually and on demand scanner
    Spybot for immunization (no teatimer), update manually and on demand scanner

The above are all free. The link to all this freeware is right here at MG: http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

Additionally, I use Firefox browser with some add-ons and WOT (Web of Trust) for safer browsing on the web. There are 2 different WOT's, one is for Internet Explorer while another one is for Firefox. Here's the link to WOT: http://www.mywot.com/

5. So far so good. Thanks for the information people! :p Anyways something else is I want to ask what programs people use for there firewalls? And why? So I can start testing some out.

6. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Windows Firewall is more than enough with a hardwire router between your computer and the modem, though others here would like you to use a software firewall so I would recommend PC Tools.

Other freeware security I employ:
    I use Spyware Terminator with the Real-Time Shield enabled, SpyBot mainly for the immunization feature (It's great for your host file protection and can replace Spyware Blaster), MalwareBytes for weekly scanning, and I use Avast! for anti-virus needs. I also disable activeX in IE, install IE7Pro, and use mainly Firefox with AdBlock Plus and Download Statusbar (with it, I can easily have everything I download scanned by Avast!).

Hope that Helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds