Software To Backup, Not Image

Discussion in 'Software' started by davidwilp, Dec 11, 2016.

1. davidwilp

davidwilp Private E-2

Hi all. I am looking for reliable software to create automatic backups of files. I already use Macrium Reflect to create images. I just want something that will automatically copy files to a secondary drive or an external drive. I know Crash Plan has free software for that but is there something else I should consider?

Thanks

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

All the well-known back up programs will allow you to back up specified file paths. Depending on your Windows Operating, Win 10 has that very facility.

davidwilp likes this.
  3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I've been using SyncBack Free for more than 10 years and highly recommend it despite a slightly clumsy UI. You set up 'profiles' for each folder (inc its children) you want backed up, the profile defining exactly what you want to happen and when/how often. It's really set it and forget it backup.

If that isn't to your liking there is endless choice, including at MajorGeeks

davidwilp likes this.
  4. davidwilp

davidwilp Private E-2

Does SyncBack allow for copying of files to another drive? OR does it create it's own file? What I am looking to do is automate the process of copying all my file from my C drive to another internal drive or a USB drive. Not to have them encrypted or backed up to a single backup file. Just copy the acutal files and folder of those that are new or changed since the last backup. Thanks

AtlBo likes this.
  5. Earthling

That's what SyncBack does. You specify the path and set the schedule and you can leave it to do its thing. As with any file backup program you do have to be specific as to how it deals with each set of criteria it will encounter, such as what to do if a file exists in the target backup set but not in the source. This is straightforward after a little practice.

If you intend to copy ALL files on C, including hidden and system files, you will almost certainly run into permissions issues, so probably impractical.

AtlBo likes this.
  6. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

yes it does. over a network, external drive, etc etc.

i've been using syncback for over a decade now in its various forms. great software, and they do have a free version.
    select source, then you have to set up a destination folder, mirror left to right, set a schedule, then select "skip differences window" for that profile, and you're good to go. i have always liked their company name, 2brightsparks.

good luck with it.

AtlBo likes this.
  7. davidwilp

davidwilp Private E-2

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. I know lots of software backs up to a single file but that's not what I wanted. Oh, and I won't be copying system files. I should have been more specific. Just my personal files (word, excel etc..,l pictures and such) I have Carbonite too so between the 2 I should be good.

AtlBo likes this.
  8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Windows 10 file history back up does exactly what you specify that you want. But with you having both that, and Macrium Reflect and Carbonite, you have a wealth of options to do exactly what you need.

davidwilp likes this.
  9. davidwilp

davidwilp Private E-2

I just started using this and I like it so far. Question about settings.
    "What to do if a file exists on destination but not on source"
    Do you choose to delete it? Ideally that is what I think I would want after a certain period of time. This way files I delete from my C drive that I no longer want would get deleted from the backup. Just don't want it done right away in case I accidentally delete a file. I have the program set to run every night.

10. Earthling

If it's Syncback you are talking about then you can achieve the effect you want by running it weekly rather than daily.

11. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

12. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

i do, but that is my personal preference. i also tend to save everything, and i tend to redo my folders, their order, and what is inside of the folders over time. so i want my backup destination to reflect the new way i have arranged everything.
    for you, that might depend on how large the backup destination is. there is no harm in not deleting, you just have to remember what is what. good luck with it.

davidwilp likes this.
  13. davidwilp

davidwilp Private E-2

I just wanted to report back in case anyone else reads this thread. I have been using SyncBack for several months now and I am very happy with it. I would highly recommend it for anyone considering it. I am using the free version at home but have just purchased SE version for work so I can use the versioning feature. Thanks for all who helped me here.

Earthling and MaxTurner like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds