Software To Check Hdd's And Repair Errors

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stephen_c16, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Greetings,
    I have a couple of sata hard drives that I connect to my desktop via a usb caddy.
    It has been a while since I have used them - I think one of them stopped being readable. Did not appear in ' My Computer'
    I will soon be opening up the desktop to change the PSU and stuff.
    I thought I should connect them internally to see how they measure up.
    I'm after suggestions for software, preferably freeware that will check them and perhaps repair any errors.

The desktop currently runs XP but might soon be running Windows 10.

Many thanks,

s.

2. Stephen_c16

3. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

if you do have some spare bucks,
    you can't beat spinrite for checking and repairing hard drive errors
    https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
    just be prepared for it to take awhile.
    good luck with it.

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

The ones in your link I have used some or most before to find lost files but not to repair a disk. One of the products 'PhotoRec' I'm sure come from the same place as 'testdisk' which I have used to repair a disk or recover lost partitions. It will also look for lost files but is a pain as it looks sector by sector and can create a thousand folders which have to be searched. But for finding or fixing a partition and some boot records it might work. With a good partition 'Recuva' works good for just finding and recovering files. Always save recovered file to a different drive/device.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

5. Stephen_c16

Thank you harmless , I have managed to exist without the 2 sata drives. Wasn't happy when it all went wrong. Spinrite looks good but it's not for me at the moment...

Thanks Imandy Mann. I will certainly give TestDisk a go. I am hoping that connecting the drives directly to the Motherboard will have some effect. But this project will not start for a couple of days.
    Best wishes,
    s.

6. Stephen_c16

7. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Command Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds