Solaris and XP dual boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fred_G, May 4, 2007.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

How friendly is Solaris to an existing XP OS on a computer with only one partition. If I am remembering correctly, Suse or Mandrivia allowed me to partition the hard drive without damaging the winxp OS. Did some google work, looks like Solaris will not do a non destructive partition. I could easily be wrong though.

Any ideas or info?

E

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

I've never tried to Dual-Boot Solaris and Windows; but it can be done.

Using a partition manager like gPartEd 'Live', reduced the size of your Windows partiton by whatever amount you need to have free. I suggest at least 10Gb. Commit the changes and then reboot for the partition change to take effect.

Boot from the Solaris install CD and install Solaris to the empty partition. The Solaris Boot manager will become the default boot manager and should be configured properly during install.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks for the info Shadow_Puter. I am downloading gPartEd live now. So, lets see, I have a 60Gb drive, I use gPartEd to give WinXP 30Gb and just leave 30Gb free and let Solaris take it from there? Or should I do any formating of the new partition before the install?

Thanks again for your time.

E

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Just leave the unused space unformated, the Solaris installer will ask you where you want to install Solaris and should partition the unused space and format the new partiton as part of the installtion process.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I appreciate the help Shadow_Puter_Dude. Do I need to do anything to the file before burning a disk in WinXP? I have had a lot of bad burns due to ignorance when it comes to Linux disks and such.

Thanks again.

Eric

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Solaris 10 should be 5 CDs or 1 DVD if I remember correctly. When you create the CD/DVD from the ISO image(s) make sure you select "Disc at once" and not "Track at Once".

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Actually, I think I worded my question wrong, i meant the gPartEd program. I have DVD's from Solaris with the OS. Currently unemployed, so coasters are not a good thing...

E

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Same thing applies to the gPartEd 'Live' CD ISO image, burn "Disc at Once".

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Will do, again, thanks.

E

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

From XP, I never saw that option. So what am I doing wrong. I right clicked on it, sent it to the burner, looks like a coaster, will not boot the laptop. The laptop is set up to boot CD/DVD first. Obviously, I am doing something wrong. Any ideas?

E

11. Shadow_Puter_Dude

What CD Creation software do you use? Try using either one of these CDBurnerXP orDeepBurner Free. I never send the file straight to the burner by right clicking.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks for the info. I forgot about windows not liking to burn ISO's. Since the laptop is about to finish a folding WU in 3 hours, I will play around with it Sunday. I did get the ISO burned on a disk, and it boots on it.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds