Some DPC program is using up internet usage.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Daniel_W, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Daniel_W

Daniel_W Private E-2

Hello everyone.
    For the past couple of weeks my computer has been using a lot of downloads. It constantly downloads aproximately 10kb blocks in a regular pattern at 1.6kbps. I identified that there was some sort of program or something called "DPC" which appeared to be working every single time the block of downloads started. I tried to get rid of it (or turn it off) but that failed. It disallows it.
    I looked on the internet and found other people had a problem with a DPC, but not regarding internet. It was slowing their computer (generally notebooks) whenever it was running. Perhaps it was also using up their downloads, but that problem was not addressed. Since my computer is fairly quick, I don't have a problem with it running. The problem is that it's seriously limiting my families downloads for the rest of the month, and perhaps in months to come.
    Now I turn the computer off whenever i'm not using it, which isn't often, so it still eats up a lot of downloads. Perhaps 200mb or more per day, while I use around 100, and the rest of the family use up a little bit more per day. With only 12gb to use per month, this is restricting us a lot. (It may not have been so bad, but earlier in the month we had a problem with a DNA bittorrent downloader which used up a lot of downloads for a couple of days).

If anyone can please explain what this is, why it's using up our internet and possibly a solution to remove/turn it off, that would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Daniel

2. Daniel_W

Daniel_W Private E-2

Sorry, this is a repeat of another post. Please ignore.

3. MoPaR

MoPaR Private First Class

DPC is Defered Procedure Call
    you cannot disable or uninstall it, and the number one reason for dpc spikes/cpu hogging is believe it or not a driver issue.

I had that same plaguing problem on a dell desktop and it turned out to be the version of nvidia drivers i was using.
    There could also be a conflict between a software firewall and p2p app.

Try disabling your firewall while downloading and see if that changes anything.
    Try upgrading your video drivers, mobo drivers etc etc....

If all else fails, maybe try a different nic card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds