some gifs aren't visible on web page

Discussion in 'Software' started by arfing1, Oct 7, 2007.

1. arfing1

arfing1 Private E-2

I just got finished typing this entire huge thing with all my computer info and your site booted me for re-log on. So this time there's a lot less info.

My problem is unique in that I am unable to view the certain gifs from my own web pages. Everyone else can see them, not me. I am running windows XP sp2, using IE7 and Netscape 7. Problem occurs on both.

I can see the graphic fine when I open it through my geocities account (upload ok) and if I open the file on my drive.

Tech supports at geocities and Xara 3D (it's mostly the things I made from them that don't work, but there are other gifs as well) have confirmed that the problem lies with me.

My internet is set to show images. I have ivideo.ax as my preferred codec. I am using a NVIDIA GeForce 4MX 44o with AGP 8x with drivers updated this moring.

I installed Direct X9.

Then we discovered my husband's favorite pasttime, Battlefield 1942 stopped working, showing that the monitor does not support . . .

A dxdiag showed that direct draw was not working. I was going to remove dx9 manually but chickened out, and insead did a system recovery to right before the install. Direct draw still failed the tests and it showed that I have direct 9.0 installed. So, I reinstalled his game. A new dxdiag showed all tests successful. But that didn't solve my gif problem.

My refresh rate is at 70 (dell flatscreen). I changed it from 60 but am not sure if that was the default. Does thing have anything do to with my problem?

what about FTTP settings?

My firewall is set at trusting but it's very safe (ran a test).

Does glide have anything to do with this?

It's obvious that I did something somewhere, and now that his game works I am reluctant to do anything more.

I will provide more info if you need it. Meanwhile thank you all so much for any help/suggestions!

This is all so frusrating.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I don't know what kind of Firewall/Anti-virus you have installed, but I would try disabling any "ad-blocking" feature. See if that helps.

ALSO

Open IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > scroll down to Multimedia and make sure that Play animations in web pages is checked.

Steve

3. arfing1

arfing1 Private E-2

I have mcafee. Why would accepting ads have anything to do with my web site?? There are no geocities/yahoo/google ads on my site. Just wondering.

4. arfing1

arfing1 Private E-2

Oh, and "play animations" checked. First place I went and I keep verifying that over and over!

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I would try it. :)

It sounds like you are pretty familiar with your McAfee program, just locate the Ad-blocking or Spam-blocking feature and turn it off.

Steve

6. arfing1

arfing1 Private E-2

I have no spam protection with McAfee, disabled and uninstalled it a while ago.

So, the game was working fine and I went to watch a movie upstairs while His Highess could play his game, and it went to his profile and guess what? No game. Got a black screen that "cannot display video mode". For the life of me I can't figure this out. Something tells me that the game problem and my gif problem are related. Any thoughts??

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try turning the monitor off, let it set for about 15 seconds and then turn it back on. See if you still get the error.

Steve

8. arfing1

arfing1 Private E-2

Nope - that didn't work. I even tried reinstalling the game again, although I didn't reboot after that and I'll try that now.

There's some darned conflict someplace, between the new drivers maybe and my settings, or the direct x9 which I wish I never installed, or could it be that my registry cleaner wiped out what I need?

Should I attempt to uninstall direct 9?? I'm real scared about trying that, though.

I probably won't be the first person to smash a computer but I'll bet I'll be the most creative about it, LOL. Seriously, it would help my marriage out a lot, save my sanity and a computer, plus you would have my undying gratitude if you - or anyone else- can help me with this. Not that you're not helping, at least we're finding out what its NOT!

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

10. arfing1

arfing1 Private E-2

Monitor seems to be okay. I can see videos from news sites and you-tube and all that. Most animated gifs are visible but there are some that aren't, and I only know that they are there because of my own web site. SOME gifs, not all.

It's the dxdiag that stumps me. The tests for acceleration of direct draw all fail, and the full screen tests for the dx also fail (small screen tests were successful).

I know once this issue is fixed at least the game will work and I can begrudgingly work around not being able to see my gifs on my web page because I do know that others see them perfectly. Also, I DO NOT even get a placeholder for these images, it's like they are invisible. As my own little workaround I have changed my site so these invisible-only-to-me gifs aren't linked anywhere (I had had buttons with links and they have been removed and replaced with drop-down menus). But like I said my primary concern at this point is the game, which I believe is directly related to dx9. So I want to be able to perform the dxdiag with all successful results. Any other thoughts? I have downloaded and installed new drivers for my video card since the 9x installation. Should I try to roll them back? What about the video codec? Thanks again!

11. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

If you do not have a restore point to go too before this happened, I would go back and manually change all the settings you changed before. Rollback the drivers, change the refresh rate, etc.

Steve

12. arfing1

arfing1 Private E-2

Game not working! here's what I've done: I've done a driver check, and installed new drivers for almost everything (but the printer). Dx diag shows only the small screen tests to be successful, others are not - "cannot display this video mode". If I lower the acceleration, I can see the gifs I wasn't able to previously, but since the game and other tings are more important I left everything set high (the way it's really supposed t be). My refresh rate is 60 - can't make it lower for my resolution. I swear dx9.0 is my problem. Video codecs updated too. All independent diagnostics of drivers and startup items had me make necessary changes so my computer is up to date and running smoothly other than this graphics problem. I'm at my wits end. I am able to answer any technical question anyone needs answers to in order to help me, so ask away please so I can help you help me. THANKS!

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

When you ran the DirectX Diagnostic Tool did you run the "Troubleshooter" ? http://www.updatexp.com/directx-diagnostic-tool.html

Two things you might try:

1. Go back to the Nvidia drivers you were using, the game might have problems with the newest one's.

2. Reinstall the game, that way you know the refresh rate in the game settings is correct.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds