Some minor PC irritations

Discussion in 'Software' started by xpuser_1, Aug 3, 2005.

1. xpuser_1

xpuser_1 Private E-2

Hello all
    This is my 1st time on this forum.

I have recently rec'd a new XP machine(SP2) with Microsoft office 2003.
    Some issues with XP I have sorted out but there are some nagging me particularly with the usage of Microsoft office 2003.

1 Each time I start up 'MS word', there's a "getting started" window pane on the right side of the screen. How does one get rid of this ?

2 Outlook 2003 looks quiet different from outlook 2000.Is there any switch with which I can get the outlook 2000 look and feel back ?

3 I have switched over to 'classic windows mode' on my XP.However on the explorer window, hovering the mouse on top of directories,makes them automatically 'underlined' and highlighted. Anyway I can get rid of this 'extra feature'.

4 Each time I put a cd/DVd/portable disc etc. inside , a pop up window comes up with 'what does windows want to do for you' with 8 options. I want to be left alone :rolleyes:
    i've gone through the 'auto play' tab to tell it to leave me alone but after new boots it still resorts back to it's own devices. Any concrete way to get rid of this time consuming window. ?

Enough for today :)

and thanks for any Information

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

1. Open Word and click Tools > Options > View and untick Startup Task Pane

2. Pass... I dont mind the look and feel of OL2003 so never looked for and options to change.

3. Yes.. goto in any folder Tools > Folder Options > View and untick Display Simple Folder View in Explorers Folder List > Apply

4. Yes Download Powertoys for XP and install the TweakUI component, once installed Run it and in the menus click My Computer > Autoplay > Drives > untick the drive letter of the DVD/Portable drive etc

3. xpuser_1

xpuser_1 Private E-2

Thanks Halo, a very talented answer :)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. xpuser_1

xpuser_1 Private E-2

Oh yes, they surely did :)
    and a thanks again for that initially 'passed' question,but revisited.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds