some questions about ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by Foulic, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Foulic

Foulic Private E-2

so i just got ubuntu 7.04 i think, i put it on cd and have it in my cd-rom, ok, anyway is their anyway to get my songs from the hdd and play them in linux? and does anyone know why i can't get blender to install on ubuntu?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

512mb of ram is hardly a sufficient experience for a liveCD. Have you considered installing it as a dual boot?

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

512 would indeed work for a dual boot, and you could then access the Winders drive from inside Ubuntu.

Let us know if you need directions for this.

4. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

In my very limited experience with Linux/GNU I would say try another distro. PCLinuxOS works well, Flash drives, Internal, and External hard drives are easy to mount to access your NTFS files, although I haven't found a Linux player that I can download codecs for that will play high bit rate audio like Windows Lossless, yet. NimbleX is a lot like PCLinux and is only 204MB so it fits on those small CD's (210MB). Some distributions allow you to save changes to the disk. I prefer Kubuntu to Ubuntu for it's KDE desktop, and have only been using version 7.10. When I get enough confidence I will try a dual boot, probably with PCLinuxOS. We can watch DVD files copied on Windows XP with DVD HD Decrypter to an external hard drive from the PCLOS Live CD on a system with less than 512 MB of RAM, (384 MB) Windows XP has trouble with this on the same system. I burn Linux .iso files with ImgBurn and verify, if there is trouble turn down the write speed. If you use Rewritable CD's you can always erase and try another distribution. Keep trying, but remember, the goal is to take a deep breath, and try a dual boot, remember to back it up...
    Bug

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Bug,

I am a Kubuntu user. Note my sig for the fact it will run nicely in 512 meg of ram.

I have no problem with Winders Media Lostless....

I only cannot use shockwave, but no distro can.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds