Some thing strange happen to my wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nec209, Dec 19, 2010.

1. nec209

nec209 Private First Class

My wireless router was set up to secure it had WPA .It was showing it was secure and for the longest time secure !! Now I check and it is showing it is not secure .I'm shocked has to what happen why it is no longer secure .

Also the network name got change too.Well did some one hacked my computer or did it go back to the factory setting? If so what could cause this?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Possibly a power surge.
    Possibly router failing due to age.
    Possibly someone changed the router settings if you left the router's log-in user name and password to defaults.
    Possibly someone hacked the router if log-in user name and password have been changed from defaults.

Reset the router back to factory defaults and redo your network settings with a new network name and key. Make sure to set the router's log-in user name and password to something other than the defaults.

3. nec209

What do you mean?

Also what is strange is in Network and sharing center it seems to be stuck in mode of going from public to private network and back and forth .Over and over and will not stay at public or private network .

It is also stuck saying identifying network than shows multiple network for less than a second ( not enough to read it to fast ) than back to identifying network .It stuck doing this over and over.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Sounds like you have your wireless connection set to automatically connect to non preferred networks and you are connecting to any random network now and not your own. You would be unsecure because you connected to a network that doesn't have a password.

What version of windows are you using?

5. nec209

How you saying when I turn the computer on it will automatically connect to any network? So if I turn the routure off it will automatically connect cannot to other network?

Why is it showing multiple network but they have the same network name ?I have windows vista ,SP1 and IE 8

6. nec209

My routures firmware got change to sveasoft how did this happen?

Did I go to a bad web site that change my firmware or did a hacker do it to get around the security?

Why did Kaspersky not tell me about new firmware .

http://www.sveasoft.com/

7. nec209

Anyone ???

8. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

How did it happen? Impossible to say. Usually a hacker isn't interested in a wireless connection with a range of a few hundred feet unless it's a neighbor who really wanted some free wireless. The router firmware update site could have been hacked and sent bad updates. It could have been a human error and nothing evil was behind it.

How to fix it? Can you load the proper firmware from the router manufacturer?

Why didn't Kaspersky alert you? Because Kaspersky is on your computer, not on your router. It would have no idea that the router had bad firmware.

9. nec209

I'm not sure if I gon to a bad web site or if a neighbor hacked it or my router is set to do a firmware update by it self.:major

My wireless router SSID got change I had WPA set up and MAC filtering.

10. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

Are you sure you are connecting to your router? Just for laughes turn it off and see if you still have a connection.

11. nec209

I turn on the routers log I got.

incoming log

Source IP ------------------------ Destination Port Number
    10.241.124.1 ----------------------- bootpc

12. Geminiione

i think the best thing to do is reset the router back to factory and set up security again. this time pick a password that is harder to crack but easy to remember. for most of my passwords i use a name of something i can remember like a city etc. and use a combonation of letters and numbers for it.

13. nec209

You mean the password key for WEP or WPA?

14. Geminiione

WPA is the security i use

15. nec209

I hear from people wep or wpa is easy to hack.But wpa-2 is harder.

To change the router firmware the hacker would have to do.

1 hack the WEP or WPA
    2. spoof the mack filtering
    3. Hack the user name and passward
    4. Than update the firmware .

So may be some one hacked me or I gone to bad web site that update my firmware .

16. Geminiione

a hacker is always looking for the easiest way in. a strong password will deter most hackers. unless you have data that will be important to the hacker most will move on to easier prey.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds