some webpages won't load - e.g. hotmail

Discussion in 'Software' started by jennyk, Oct 9, 2010.

1. jennyk

jennyk Private E-2

Hi,

Other websites are loading fine, but hotmail and another work-related one just won't load at all. They won't load on either firefox or internet explorer - the connection times out.

I've run through the malware procedure but the problem is still there.

Thanks in advance,
    Jenny

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Have you tried running FF in it's safe mode status ?
    Right click on FF icon select Firefox safe mode then try the pages your talking about, if the pages work then it's an addon thats causing your problem !

3. jennyk

jennyk Private E-2

Hi there,

Yes, I've tried loading then in firefox safe mode, and also tried on internet explorer. They still wouldn't load.

4. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Have you cleared the cache on both browsers ?
    Also try pinging hotmail or any of your other work related pages !

5. jennyk

jennyk Private E-2

Hi,

Yes, I've cleared the caches. When i tried pinging hotmail, the request timed out. When i tried to ping another website, 4 packets were sent and received, but the request times out when I tried to open the website on firefox.

6. holiday

holiday Private E-2

Since ping uses ICMP you maybe able to ping but not browse to those sites. Check your firewall settings, maybe disable your firewall for a test if possible.

7. jennyk

jennyk Private E-2

Hi,

I disabled the firewall, but some pages just won't load. This might be a daft idea, but the pages that won't load are ones that are secure (e.g. work email, hotmail, chat site). I don't know if that's important, but just thought I'd mention it in case it was.

Thanks.

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Jenny,

Can you visit Control Panel > Internet options > Advanced > Security and check which SSL and TLS boxes are checked please?

9. jennyk

jennyk Private E-2

Hi,

They are all checked.

Thanks.

10. satrow

Ok, can you check Windows Firewall settings (it may still be active, even though you use a 3rd party firewall)?

Can you list the security software you have installed please, also any that have recently been uninstalled (they may need a full cleanout)?

11. satrow

Could you also check that the time and date on your PC are correct please?

12. jennyk

jennyk Private E-2

Hi,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by checking the firewall settings. The security software i have installed are: avira, superantispyware, cc cleaner. I installed malware bytes and mg tools today when running through the malware removal procedure.

13. satrow

(CCleaner is not a security program) but for the other progs, I don't recall any bug related to this. Did you check your date/time in Windows was correct?

For Windows Firewall > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > check the settings (if it's active). It would be much easier to be more specific if we knew which version of windows and which Service Pack level your PC was at ;)

Do you have the MGlogs to attach please? They might give us more to work on.

14. jennyk

jennyk Private E-2

Hi,

When i turned my computer on this morning, everything was working fine and all of the websites that hadn't been loading have loaded with no probs. I had re-started my computer at several points yesterday, but had never left it off for any length of time.

I am very sorry if I've wasted your time, but I'd like to thank you for your help anyway.

15. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Thats no bother at all jennyk, you haven't wasted anyones time we're here to help and get you back up and running properly, and thats all that matters, maybe thats all you needed was a reboot, and as long as your sorted good onya ! :);)

16. jennyk

jennyk Private E-2

Thanks guys ;-)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds