Something Is Wrong With My Ethernet Setup.

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2-Bit-Geek, Oct 12, 2016.

1. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

Hi all, long time no see :)

I've been having issues with my internet connection lately, intermittent dropouts that can sometimes take a long time to return to normal. I've been running (these http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45416/~/broadband-extender-500-flex) powerline for almost 2 years with no issues & now I have outages that can last hours and come back for no reason.

I think this is a software issue as I have replaced the Ethernet from the router to the powerline & switched it so it now goes from the powerline to the PC. I have also changed to a PCI-E Gigabit network card which has made no difference. I am guessing that since it tells me in the status that there is no IPv4 or 6 connectivity, but the media state is enabled that means I am connected, but not receiving (also confirmed by the packets).

I have followed multiple guides on how to fix the various messages I get each time I try to fix the issue, I have tried the ipconfig commands, release, flushdns and renew to no avail. I am currently using an old WiFi card (which for some reason says it has no IPv6 connectivity) to get internet access at all at the moment, I'm running Windows 10 & would be grateful for any solutions.

Thanks for your time.

2-bit-geek

P.S. I miss the old emotes and HTML editor where you could link better :eek:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you connect a computer directly to the modem does it get online?
    If not, it could be a problem with your modem or a problem with your ISP. You need to determine if that is the issue before you look at the powerline adapters.

3. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

Yes I am currently connecting via wireless & all other devices are connected as normal too.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

From your description it sounds more like an ISP problem than anything your side of the router. Does the Internet status light on the router drop out during these outages? If so you need to take it up with your ISP, but in that case you would need to be absolutely certain there is no problem with the wiring between the point where the line or cable enters your property and the router, as they would hold you responsible for that.

5. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

When the outages have not resolved themselves (before installing the old WiFi card) in a timely manner I would restart the router, but WiFi devices are working as normal up until the restart (obviously).

Just tested with a laptop I borrowed the three cables I have & they all showed no connection (WiFi disabled of course), so I switched Ethernet ports & it looks like a hardware failure of that port. I am now reconnected via powerline only, guess I just overlooked something simple :p

Thanks for your time though guys :)

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Pleased it turned out to be something simple :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds