something wierd

Discussion in 'Software' started by laurieB, Aug 13, 2004.

1. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i lost my internet connection this morning. it had nothing to do with me, it was something at verizons end of things. however when i sighned on this morning msn 'told me' it was zone alarm, firewall. so i disabled it. shut down, switched back on and no differance. same message from msn. so i uninstalled ZA altogether. still no luck. i switched every thing off. unplugged everything, plugged it all back in, switched it all back on...still no. (oh and before that i rebooted to yesterday) eventually i rang verizon who said it was them. now i have a really wierd log on the programmes of ZA. is this normal??

Attached Files:

2. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ooo, they didnt appear as i expected, no matter. i couldnt get it on one page. zA sez they are being blocked by 'the sceen saver Internet lock'. what is that??

3. Nirvana_CN

Nirvana_CN Private First Class

I havent used ZA in ages. But there used to be a big picture of a lock at the top, which if cliked locked down your internet as you seem to be expereinceing.

One of the options somewhere is to block all net traffic whilst using a screensaver.

One option would be to un-install ZA, then re-install, but dont let it set your programmes access for you, the only downside is you will have to grant access to all the individual apps again.

4. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

Re: something weird

its stopped at about 1am. i checked the lock thingy and it was open. i also checked the screen saver lock and although it was on, the screen saver wasn't so i don't know what that was about. i can only assume it was part of verizons problem, but i don't see how. anyway now i have a different question.....this program keeps asking for access. anyone recognize it?
    aloha and good morning everyone.

Attached Files:

5. Nirvana_CN

Process File: spoolsv or spoolsv.exe
    Process Name: Printer Spooler Service
    Description: Windows Printer Spooler, a service that stores printer jobs and forwards them to the printer when it is ready.
    Company: Microsoft Corp.
    System Process: Yes
    Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
    Common Errors: N/A

this is the print Device Service. Do you use remote printing? If you dont have a printer you can just turn the service off in Services.msc, or just deny it access, unless you want to print to printers over the net.

6. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok, scratch that. zone alarm info told me enough to explain it. i dont always get the option of 'more info' and/or 'add to zone' though. i dont know why.

7. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i do have a printer, i dont understand about printing 'over the net' so presumably i dont need it to do that. i only have the one puter so its not that.

8. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Correct, right-click on ZA, click on RESTORE Zone Alarm control center, then click on program control and fiind the "Spooler Subsystem" . Left click under the "Access" column and you can make all the marks red x's.

You probably knew how to do this: It should look like this:

9. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

thanx pegg. i find the firewall really confusing. thee seems little point in having one if I'm simply gonna give access to everything that asks, yet the information describing them is in terms i don't understand, or simply non existent. i don't understand the difference between accessing the net, and acting as server. i thought the server was verizon dsl. but obviously not, and even then with names like chorus daemon (some sort of support program vital to verizon) it seems one big guessing game, with no rules. :) i downloaded ZA user manual....all 250 complicated pages of it. not a lot of help really. lol. aloha

10. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

what i need is a puter tech that wants a free holiday lol :)

11. Nirvana_CN

Im here :)

Haven't had much look getting a tan here this year, so long as you have a gym and sun over there, im ya man :D

12. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Go here ---
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38704&highlight=zone+alarm+settings
    and see specifically post #4 and what WiseWiz says...and see if that helps any. I don't have red X's on everything, but if you're not sure, don't just make it a green check mark. You could put ? on those until 1) you know what they are or 2) just keep them with ? so ZA will ask for permission to access the internet each time then just click OK or no and see what happens.

(he has the answer there to your "print spooler" question too) ;)
    FYI: Generic Host process for Win32 is the only thing that I have with 2 green check marks in the SERVER column. :)

13. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

nirvana...... no gym......lots of surfing, swimming and hiking. what do you need a gym for? if its to work on your pecs (whatever they are) you could help me tame some of this jungle lol.

14. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

one problem denying everything is that some programs keep trying untill they start causing madness and mehem. the aformentioned chorus daemon being one of them.
    ive gone and put question marks in the right columns except for yahoo msngr. thanx for the link. i remember reading that, but when i tried to find it and find out what followed, i couldnt find it.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds