Sonic Update Manager and other problems!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by decemaplictisiti, Apr 10, 2008.

1. decemaplictisiti

decemaplictisiti Private E-2

Ok, so here I go....I have been having problems with my computer - Dell Dimension 8110 - for the past 3 months solid!! Arrrgh....For one I keep getting a pop-up when I start, that says "Windows Installer - Sonic Update Manager - can not find program please insert disk", something like this...But, I do not have a disk for Sonic, I looked up on how to solve this problem and I got an answer. So....I went to Run - msconfig - startup - uncheck issch and ISUSPM....Of course it couldn't have been that easy...not for me!! When I uncheck those progr. and click apply I get a mssg. "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes"! Thing is thou my account is THE Administrator Account. I do not have any other account on my computer...!! HOW on earth do I fox that?
    Another big problem is the speed of my comp. which is snail like! And, also, it keeps freezing as well....I have used a IOLO System Mechanic to fix it but to no avail. I also have AdAware, McAfee Total Protection, and Spyware Doctor, but none of them can fix my problems...:( Buhu....So, someone please please HELP!!!! I am going crazy, I am on the brink of destroying this computer, I would like too take it up on the roof and drop it from there to see and hear it SPLAT!! But, I can't afford to do that...so...I need to get this fixed...I am in school and I'm taking 3 classes online...so I'm desperate now! Someone help me pleaseeeeee!!

2. decemaplictisiti

Hi Mark, thanks for answering to my thread. I have Windows XP. I have already removed the Sonic Update program....but is still popping up....I have already run a clen-up and cleaned everything...How do I make my computer recognize my account as Administrator? Thanks.

3. GM1

GM1 Private E-2

My IBM computer does the same thing, i.e., when I try to edit an entry in msconfig I get a similar "you have to be an administrator" message even though the user account I am using is an administrator.

For my system, I discovered that if I clicked ok when that message pops up, the edit I was trying to make in msconfig still took effect (you have to reboot). Maybe it will work for you too.

One other thought...are your antivirus and antispyware programs up-to-date? If not, then you may want to update them and then run them again. Your symptoms have some resemblance to malware.

4. decemaplictisiti

Thanks, I have tried to do that but it did not work...I have clicked yes and then rebooted but it just comes back...now thou, the mssg tells me that I need a disk for Sonic Activation Module...before it was for Sonic Update Manager...and it says to try to install a "Activate.MSI" package...whatever that might be...!! My antivirus is up-to-date...and I have 3 different registry clean and spydoctors programs...

5. GM1

GM1 Private E-2

decemaplictisiti,

Regarding the msconfig/administrator/Sonic problem, sorry that it still isn't working for you. I was hoping the suggestion I gave would help. Perhaps another poster will chime in with an idea.

Regarding your other issue about your computer's sluggishness and freezing up, did you notice any improvement after following Mark Trent's suggestions? In addition, there's a good post in this forum regarding steps to take for a healthy computer; here's the link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds