Sony 5.1 Speakers w/ HDTV TV??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by odiear3rd, Aug 6, 2005.

1. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

I bought 5 Sony 5.1 Speakers on Ebay. Do I need a A/V Amplifier or AM/FM Reciever to tramsmit sound to speakers. The speakers are 70w each. I need a Subwoofer (70w) also. The Amp should be a 420w amp. Can a stronger Amp of 500w be used or would it be too strong for the speakers?? Amps w/ more wattage be too much for the speakers?? I don't want to runin the speakers. Appreciate all your posts. Thanks ODIE :)

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

if you get a 500w amp just be sure not to blast them at full volume .. if you hear cracking or distortion you know you're playing them too loud .. if you really want to be conservative buy one that's a little under what your speakers can handle, of course don't be too conservative .. but most speakers are built pretty well these days so it's not something I would fret about

If you go into your typical mass market store, you only really see AM/FM Recievers, you would have to goto an specialized audiophile store to find a straight out amp .. and they're very very expensive. But a reciever should do just fine, so long as it supports 5.1 audio

3. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

Pyrate: Thanks for the post. AM/FM reciever will work better than a A/V Amp. Just make sure it's a 5.1 chanel?? Any Manufacture will work?? Keep the power to a limit of 350w?? ( 5X70w) ODIE :)

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I know onkyo is supposed to be good, sony also makes good ones ... if you want to spend some money get a harmon kardon, course IMO all you'll be doing is spending more money than you have to

if you get a 350w reciever it may actually be too underpowered and you won't get a good signal .. thus sound quality will degrade

this one should fit your needs:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...BV_EngineID=ccckaddfggghificfngcfkmdffhdfgo.0

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

6. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds