SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A [CD-ROM drive]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danhereford, Nov 4, 2008.

1. danhereford

danhereford Private E-2

My system is approx. 90 months old and it has a Sony DVD RW AW-Q170A disk drive. I've had no problems copying files from my hard drive to a CD disk using this disk drive. I haven't, however, been able to copy the same files to a DVD-R disk.

I've been using Nero software. Whenever I try to copy to a DVD-R disk it advises me that my disk format is incompatible and that files cannot be burned to this disk.

Any thoughts? Is my disk drive incapable of recording to a DVD-R disk??

Thanks for your feedback.

DAN

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

it should work, but you can download nero info tool to get more info about your drive:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Nero_InfoTool_d120.html
    you might already have the tool seeing that you're using nero's software

you can get a text file of the report and post it here if you are having trouble figuring it out

3. danhereford

danhereford Private E-2

Thanks for the feedback. I did have the Nero Info tool and I checked it. It shows that I have DVD-R read and write capabilities. Any other thoughts about why I can't record onto a DVD-R disk? Thanks.

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Have you tried a different make of disk ???

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

have you done any research on maybe updating the firmware on the drive? found a list that may be helpful...
    http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-5170A/
    just remember that updating with the wrong firmware could render your drive useless, but it might help with your problem...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds