Sony VAIO dip switches

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jools1976, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Hey guys. I was recently given a Sony VAIO VGN-FS640/W (or PCG-7A2L). Everything worked pretty good on it except for the fact that the headphone jack was busted, and also it was getting no sound from the speakers. I was pretty sure that the speaker issue was related to the headphone jack. I replaced the headphone jack on the mobo, but I am still getting no sound from either the jack or my speakers. All the drivers are good to go. There are some dip scitches (a bank of 4 to be exact) underneath the keyboard. Does anybody know what they are for, and could they possibly affect the audio output. I know the guy that had the laptop before me had it apart and was messing around with it, but I'm not sure what he did. Any thoughts?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't know about the dip switches.

This manual shows that the speaker cable is awfully small. It could have been reseated incorrectly. I'm not sure how far apart you had the laptop whether it would be worth checking the cable. http://home.comcast.net/~nw_systems/vgnFS.pdf

It probably would not effect headphone sound. So it may be a red herring.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

One other thought..

Is this a new install of XP--which service pack? I'm wondering because the audio drivers are RealTEK from 2005 and I've seen many posts in the drivers section regarding needing UAA Audio Bus fix before installing sound drivers for older versions of XP. I'm not good at drivers but it may be worth a post in drivers to rule that out if it is a new install of SP1 or SP3. The fix works with SP2 but the other service packs seem problematic.

4. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Checked the speaker cable... It's good to go. It's windows SP2 that I've installed. I'll check it out in the driver section as well. It has a BIOS password on it, that the previous owner does not know, which is preventing me from getting into the setup screen. Wanted to see if audio was disabled there. I pulled the CMOS battery but it did nothing, I later found out that the BIOS password is flashed right into the firmware, so pulling the CMOS battery won't kill it.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Everything I've seen concerning the DIP switches says 1-3 on, 4 off.

6. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Looking around I've seen the same thing. Mine however is set 124 - ON and 3 - OFF. I'm going to change that up and try your config. Any idea what these switches do?

7. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

No idea - I downloaded the user manual for that model (which made no mention of them) and cruised through some of the Sony forums, but can't seem to get a handle on what they're for.

Most motherboard DIPs are for setting clock multipliers - you might try looking at your BIOS for any changes in frequency when you alter a switch setting.

Could also be a keyboard layout/language thing - seems like I remember some early laptops had switch settings for U.S. vs. European layouts.

8. j3rus

j3rus Private E-2

This is working!!!!but my problem is,there is no display on my LCD screen,i mean the backlight won't power up,then i follow the right setting,the 123 on 4 off dip switch setting,and it works...thanks dude.

Problem SOLVE!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds