Sony Vaio Laptop Froze, Wouldn't Turn Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yukikotofu, Feb 7, 2009.

1. yukikotofu

yukikotofu Private E-2

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, if it's not then i apologize and please move this thread to the correct forum, thank you!

Today while browsing the internet i was typing in a url when my Sony laptop completely froze on me. The keys, touchpad, etc wouldn't work. I tried Ctrlaltdelete, the power button. I tried closing my laptop (which usually turns it off) and didn't work either. I ended up having to pull out the battery in order to get it to turn off.

I was worried that that may have cause some damage to my laptop? Also, could there be a reason why my laptop froze like that? It was the first time that has happened before. I have downloaded some files earlier from save-file, but i have done that before and nothing like this has ever happened.

i'm quite afraid that i may be a virus or some malware. Recently my desktop have been infected and we had to reformat it.

any advice on why it happened and how to prevent it will really helpful!

thank you!

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Ok, you've got a Sony laptop that froze.
    That could be due to heat or malware.
    Can you power the laptop up again?
    Does it freeze or reboot?
    If you have trouble shutting it off (after a 'freeze'), press the power button and hold it for 5 > 10 seconds, BUT ONLY DO THIS IF CTRL/ALT/DEL don't work.

Without further information, it's almost impossible to diagnose.
    What model Sony laptop?
    What OS running?
    What did you recently download?
    Did you recently add hardware (external hard drive, etc)?
    Approx how old is the laptop?

3. yukikotofu

yukikotofu Private E-2

thank you for the reply!

I was able to power up my computer just fine.

my laptop's model is VGN-NR310E.
    It's running Windows Vista 32-bit.
    I had downloaded a zip file with manga images (jpeg form).
    Haven't added any extra hardware.
    And my laptop is approximately 6 months old.

If there's any other information needed, please tell me.

and thank you once again. :]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds