Sony VAIO Overheating - how do you remove bottom panel?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newbieputerbuf, Jan 19, 2010.

1. newbieputerbuf

newbieputerbuf Private E-2

I have a Sony VAIO Model PCG-3A1L and have removed all the screws from the bottom panel (removed battery), removed the hard drive, DVD drive and cover over memory. I can not get the back section separated around the two hinges.

I can see the fan in the back, and it's filthy and there is quite a bit of dust around the air intact.

Anyone know what I'm missing that would allow me to totally separate the bottom panel? I really want to get in there and do a thorough clean-up. I have found some sites on line that show other models of the VAIO and they have you separate the keyboard and get to the top - but this one has screw you can see from underneath that you can see go up in to the area around the keyboard. It's obvious that these screws can only be removed if you get the bottom panel off.

Thanks in advance

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

3. newbieputerbuf

newbieputerbuf Private E-2

One of the links had it. Got it apart and man was it filthy. Still having some issues, but I can no longer fry an egg on the back panel near the cooling fins. They were plugged solid.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Awesome, good to hear I hope you have a decent grease to apply to the CPU that can also make a nice difference.

5. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

Yeah I have a Sony Vaio laptop, you seriously gotta keep those things clean or they'll get pretty hott.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds