sony vaio pcg k45 heat issue.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biogenesis, Jan 15, 2010.

1. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

Hey,
    I Have a Sony Vaio pcg k45 laptop, I had to replace the HD and the CPU, The cpu has been running at no lower than 73c and it gets so hot it shuts off, I know when it's running hot it'll reach like 80 - 85c or higher. When I installed the new cpu i used the thermal grease that came with my desktop heatsink, it's a white compound; I noticed that the old dried up grease from the laptop was silver/grey, is there like special compound made for laptops that i need to use?.. The fact that i used the grease from my desktop, is that why it's over heating?

2. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

I also had to shave down the fan blades to one of the fans in the cooling unit cause the fan was too big like someone took a fan out of another cooling unit and put it in there, the fan wouldn't even spin but i shaved it down enough to get it to spin like it should.

3. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi, Bio'

Ther is not a special grease for laptops, but it sounds like the stuff you got was aload of cr@p!

get yourself some arctic silver and re-do it ASAP.

I also dont like the sound of what you done to the fan, they are designed to work the way they where made, you are likely not getting adequate airflow to your CPU!

You need to look at replacing the fan ASAP! aswell

Q

4. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

Kinda figured that's what the problem was but I used the same grease in my desktop and my CPU stays around 22c. Finding Just a replacement fan for that model of Sony vaio laptop isn't gonna be easy.

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Desktops and Laptops don't really compare at all when it comes to heat disipation... Lappy's are usually very poor at keeping cool. desktops have loads of space and bigger fans.

I would take a walk down to your local comp parts shop with your lappy and see what fan they recommend, it is not usually too hard to find a suitable fan in my experience :) (good luck)

Also, CPU grease is one of many things i NEVER skimp on, get the best arctic silver they have, it is a very worthwhile investment (about £5 here in uk) the cheap stuff dries up to fast, and just doesnt perfom as well at all!

Q

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds