Sony vaio PCG-K45 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biogenesis, Mar 21, 2010.

1. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

One of the cooling fans went out in my gf's laptop a while back so i just replaced the whole cooling unit, During installation something went wrong, I damaged the power button ribbon, Fried the CPU some how; At this point the laptop just sat around for MONTHS until she was able to buy another PCG-K45 laptop for parts; So i took the parts i needed, Power ribbon and cpu and put them in the gf's broken laptop, The laptop powered on but would not detect the hard drive in bios no matter what and it'd just keep saying operating system not found, I posted on here about it and reached the conclusion that the hard drive went out; so Got a new hard drive and ordered system discs from Sony, Installed the hard drive and ALL of the laptop drivers, At this point i ran in to a heat problem because one of the fan blades were damaged and not giving proper air flow, not only that but the CPU grease was the cheap white gupe instead of the silver stuff, I never changed the grease but did order yet another cooling unit and installed it, it works great for the most part, the laptop on idle runs at 45c which brings me to believe that the problem at hand now is NOT heat related because when you leave a laptop turned off for days, when you turn it on there is no reason why the temp should spike up to 80c + which would cause the error I'm getting yet again, "Operating system not found" Especially seeing that the laptop runs idle at 45c. Sometimes i get the op system not found error, sometimes i don't and windows loads fine but sometimes after windows loads i get the BSOD.

Just to clear up any confusion, the problem is.
    Sometimes when the laptop is powered on, I get operating system not found, But not every time.

Most the time windows loads fine.

Sometimes it will load fine but then BSOD.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Operating system not found with the old hard drive and now sometimes the same error. With those symptoms, I suspect the connector is flaky. I've never taken a notebook apart so I don't know how the hd connects to the motherboard; I've only removed a hard drive and noted the cage and an adapter.

I'd say take it apart again and if there is some sort of ribbon from the drive bay to a connector on the motherboard, replace that ribbon.

3. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

There is no ribbon i believe, I think the ide out is connected directly to the board. I do still have the other pcg-k45 board, should i switch the board?? I'm kinda scared to , ive broken a lot of parts already workin on this thing; a keyboard, touch pad, power ribbon and fried a CPU.

EDIT: it's an old p4 laptop. i wish she'd just get rid of it, but she doesn't want to. lol.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

A few things to try,in bios set your boot order to hard drive only and disable boot other devices,this error can also be caused when a hard drive can't spin up in time for the boot sequence so try restarting the computer multiple times,this will keep the hard drive spinning if you still get no OS then obviously it's something else.

You need to disable auto restart to debug the memory dump here is a guide for vista;

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/arestartvista.htm

Set it to small memory dump also,you can then either install debugging tools yourself and debug the the mini dump or upload it here and I or another member will debug it for you.

Here is a guide;

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Download here

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

Also boot with the windows disk and enter the recovery console,run check disk by typing the command chkdsk /r it will hunt and hopefully fix any errors,the error can also be caused by a corrupt master boot record/boot sector it's unlikely though because the problem is sporadic but it may be worth a try if your out of options, to check and fix from the recovery console type fixmbr to fix the master boot record and fixboot to fix the boot sector.

Here's some more info on the recovery console and how to use it if your stuck;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds