Sony vaio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Keanasdad, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Keanasdad

Keanasdad Private E-2

Hi, my wife has a Sony vaio with windows 7 installed. The kids were on it and it shut down with the blue screen coming up on reboot. I have been into the bios and it states there is only 3gb on the hard drive instead of 300+ that should be there. I didn't make any back up discs and cannot system restore. Does anyone have any reasonably priced ideas as to a solution to this problem. If any more info is required I can add if needed. Thank you for your time.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If the system needs to be completely reformatted, your best bet is to go to Sony's website and order a set of factory restore discs. The factory restore discs should not require a reactivation of Windows or the purchase of a new license code.

If you have important files, note that a factory restore will delete them.

To get the files, try starting the PC in Safe Mode by tapping the "F8" key. If this works, you should be able to transfer them to a USB flash drive or external hard drive. Before reinstalling the files, scan the files with a program such as Malware Bytes (http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756) to be sure the kids didn't accidentally download any creep.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi Guys,

If the Bios is only reporting 3GB does that not suggest that the disk has failed? I would prob go with the re-formatt in the first instance but I wouldnt be supprised if the disk needs replacing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds