Sony VIAO PCG-K35 Not Recognizing RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gman863, Feb 23, 2011.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I'm working on a Sony VIAO PCG-K35 notebook PC that will not recognize the full amount of RAM memory installed.

Both Sony's spec page and the crucial.com memory configuration page state this model will accept a total of 1024MB (2x512MB) DDR2700.

I currently have 2x512MB of DDR 3200 installed. The system powers on and runs; however the BIOS, Windows XP System Info and Everest all show only 640MB installed. There is an onboard ATI graphics card that (according to the BIOS) is only using 64MB of shared memory.

If I pull either of the two RAM chips out, it shows 512 MB of memory.

I updated to the most recent BIOS from Sony's web site; it did not help. The OS is Windows XP Pro SP3.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have little knowledge of how RAM works but my guess is the MB just doesn't like those particular modules. If you look at Newegg under the feedback tab (review #4) on this memory you will see that that model PC only recognizes 192mb for some RAM. It doesn't fit your exact scenario but 512 +192= 704mb. 704mb-64mb(video)=640mb.

Maybe, try the original RAM and one new module in each slot and see if any change? Or try another brand of RAM.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Thanks for the response. I shuffled both the original RAM and an extra stick I had between slots. Long story short, it appears to be a glitch in either the BIOS or memory slots.

Given it was built in 2004, I told my friend to live with its current slow speed for now and plan on spending part of her tax refund on a new notebook PC. :)

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

It might be worth your while to try a couple of PC2700 modules instead. The Sony notebook was built for PC2100, and Pc3200 runs at nearly double that frequency. memory is designed to be backwards compatible speed-wise, but there is a limit. PC2700 is more likely to be able to clock down, since it doesn't have to change as much as the PC3200.

It's worth a shot. :)

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Thanks for the tip. I purchased the memory based on user reviews (and likely should not have trusted the "guaranteed compatibility with 2700 and 2100" dog-and-pony-show ad copy :-o ).

In the mean time, I think it's best I scrap the upgrade on this one. My friend is spoiled by the dual-core desktop I built for her a few months ago. Even if I upgraded the Sony notebook to the max of 1GB, it still wouldn't be nearly as fast - especially if she dared upgrading it to Windows 7. By the time she paid for memory, a copy of Win 7 and a new battery (which it needs) we're about at the cost of a new (and much faster) entry level notebook.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Absolutely. I bought my husband a netbook for $250 the other week... Cost-benefit analysis is everything, and you've at least got your priorities straight. It's not about how much you spend, it's about what you get for your money. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds