Sophos vs free antivirus programs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Promethean, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Promethean

Promethean Private E-2

I'm looking to update my antivirus and have the option of either the latest Sophos version (7.x) which is provided by my university on a group licence or one of the free programs (Avast probably). I remember talking to one of my friends earlier in the year who had Sophos and said that it probably used more resources than some other programs. Does anyone know if this is the case or not? A previous post on here said Avast used about 15MB... anyone have experience with sophos?

Thanks
    JD

2. baz239

baz239 Private E-2

Hi,
    I have a fair bit of experience with Sophos, some good,some bad. Overall it is pretty good anti-virus program. In regard to it chewing up system resources it really depends on the settings you apply to its scanning methods and how intensive they are. If you need more indepth info let me know

B9

3. dillen_92

dillen_92 Private E-2

Hi
    could you provide me with some tips to make Sophos to be less intensive

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds