sorry if this has been asked before but what's a good free anti-virus program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nbalive, Jan 29, 2005.

1. nbalive

nbalive Private E-2

i feel like uninstalling mcafee since it hasnt been finding anything lately, and i think i have a virus.

2. jharg

jharg Private E-2

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Agree with Asus! :)

5. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Avast is great and has saved me on quite a few occasions. After you download you have to register it (It's FREE) and it is essential to keep it updated which is easy and fast.
    Cheers
    Robert

6. nbalive

nbalive Private E-2

damn and i had just downloaded AVG before reading your replies....maybe ill uninstall it and download avast later!

7. nbalive

nbalive Private E-2

damn, but my instincts were right, though. there was something wrong with mcafee. it woulndt detect viruses and hadn't done so in like 2 weeks. i uninstalled mcafee and installed AVG, and AVG found 3 trojans....stupid mcafee.....

8. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Private E-2

I also lost Mcafee for some reason after rebuilding two computers and both of them would not let me get to mcafee links to reload the program to this date??? So, I am using AVG and so far happy with it,,,along with free sygate pers. firewall!!! No problems now for a month!!! Linking to Mcafee sites which I can connect to, when I try to link to any of the Home User Links...won't connect??? This and a couple other links won't connect,,,seems like since I went with linksys routers on computers???

Tinkertoy

9. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

I agree with ASUS.:)

Have used every AV from Norton to AVG to AnitVir, but I find Avast Home Ed (free) the best.
    I may get the Pro version later on. :D

10. nbalive

nbalive Private E-2

Hey Tinkertoy, have you ever used Zone Alarm firewall, the free edition? If you have, how do you compare it with Sygate???

11. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Private E-2

Hi nbalive...

No I have not used that one...
    I paid for mcafee and it worked always without any extra work on my part...
    But there is a little work on your part to use AVG Virus or Sygate Firewall, but,
    they have done the job so far and update regularly for me...and both free!!!
    For 4 weeks now!!!

As for the other programs for virus and firewall, posted here, I can only say,
    I would have to try them for myself, because members have not told me or you the pros and cons, other than they like them...

My theory is try it you'll like it, if not uninstall and go back to the one that suits you...unless the members can give us an idea as to the difference between them???

Cheers and have a good day...
    Tinkertoy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds