Sort Folder Contents By File Type

Discussion in 'Software' started by md2lgyk, Oct 11, 2010.

1. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

OS is XP Pro. I have several folders containing lots of files with duplicate names but different formats, i.e., a Word file and a PDF of the same file. Is there a way to sort (or group) a folder's contents by file type so, for example, all the Word files are together and the same for the PDFs?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You should be able to go into the folder you want to organize > click on View > Details > There should be a drop down menu along the top that you can choose to organize by File Type

I'm not on XP anymore so can't remember exactly. If that doesn't work, here's a link to Microsoft on organizing files in XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/maintain/filemgmt.mspx

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

Excellent. Don't know why I've never noticed that option before. Thanks.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Nice. Glad it worked.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds